Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Following The Mozziah Day 69 Tuesday 22nd November 2011

I have barely slept. Following yesterday's sad announcement that Shelagh Delaney had passed away, I spent time reading about her life and then for some reason, which I cannot really explain, I felt compelled to watch......No, not 'A Taste of Honey', but Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance Of Being Earnest'. I have been reading a fair amount about Wilde recently, all because of The Mozziah's devotion to him. For me to not know about Wilde is the equivalent of JC's disciples not knowing about God. I can hardly follow The Mozziah without understanding the word of Wilde. Shelagh Delaney was The Mozziah's other huge influence, so her role, in the biblical sense, is that of the Virgin Mary, she could be said to be The Mozziah's 'unofficial' Mother, especially having written 'A Taste Of Honey' the year before The Mozziah was born. It all makes perfect sense really that the 'Real and Proper Poet Laureate' is the surrogate son of Oscar Wilde and Shelagh Delaney. Having now, at last, witnessed the work of Wilde, I suddenly get it. It may sound melodramatic to say that last night opened my eyes, but actions speak louder than words (or do they? in many ways I hope not!) and today I have found somebody to replace me at work, and from January, I shall officially be 'A Writer', all be it an unemployed/unpublished/unwritten writer, but none the less, a writer. I will turn forty six next month, am I too late? I hope not. Delaney wrote her defining masterpiece at the age of eighteen, Wilde wrote his at forty, The Mozziah, at fifty two, continues to write and his 'Masterpiece' is yet to be defined, it may not even have yet been written, although some will say it is 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out', although I of course believe it is 'Trouble Loves Me'. It could of course turn out to be his as yet unpublished autobiography. I personally can't wait to read his diaries, although as I don't believe he will let these be published until after his death, I will have to wait quite a while, hopefully. Shelagh Delaney's death, The Importance of Being Earnest and writing this blog about MY true inspiration, The Mozziah, have all converged to help me take the plunge and do what I wish I'd done years ago, write. Shelagh Delaney's death has left a vacancy. Am I able to write something as brilliant as 'A Taste Of Honey'? Very unlikely. Will I succeed as a writer in any way, shape or form? Who knows? but if I don't attempt it, I have failed anyway. Do I believe I have it in me? Yes, I have to believe that. Do I have a clue what I am going to write about? Nope, but I do genuinely believe that both 'Fate' and 'Lady Luck' will each take one of my hands and guide me. I just have to hope that fate doesn't moon back at me and Lady Luck's smile is not ridden with rotting teeth. I have always thought that if I did ever take up writing seriously, it would be in the form of writing comedy. I once attempted to write a sitcom with somebody, but we had differing ideas and it never took off. Having watched 'Earnest', the version with Wendy Hiller incidentally, I now believe I want to write a play. When I was sixteen and taking Drama as an 'O' level, we had to take a section of a play and act it out. I informed my drama teacher I didn't want to adapt a play, I wanted to write my own. He told me not to be stupid and that nobody had ever done that before. I ignored him, wrote it, directed it and took a part in it. I convinced four of my fellow students to appear in it and we all passed with flying colours. For anybody remotely interested, it was a play about a dreaming schoolboy who had visions of being a Mad Scientist and a Dandy Gentleman among other things, and had NOTHING whatsoever to do with 'Billy Liar', 'Frankenstein' or 'Carry On Don't Lose Your Head'. Anyway, enough about me, all this has got me wondering what would The Mozziah have done if he'd been living in the age of Oscar Wilde? Would he have followed in his every footstep? Would he have worshipped from afar or would he have still managed to release his own genius to be an artiste in his own right? Of course, there is no answer, for it is a theoretical question. The Mozziah has a 'Super Fan' called Julia Riley who goes to watch virtually every one of The Mozziah's concerts. This is a fantastic thing to be able to do and something that The Mozziah may well have done with Wilde. We Mozziah fans are so lucky that our God is alive. For believers in religious Gods, a trip to a local church, synagogue or mosque are the closest they can get to their make believe messiah's, but ours is is real. For The Mozziah, following HIS inspiration, Wilde, isn't an option. If it had been, The Mozziah would've possibly been like Riley, or if circumstances hadn't allowed him to follow Wilde, he would've had to make do with watching where he could and taking inspiration to create, he would of course, have donned a green carnation, and we must of course don a red or white rose, it is the very least we can do as a thank you.
  Tonight's concert is in Escondido in California. I would be very surprised if 'Sheila Take A Bow' is not played in tribute, after all it IS 'for Shelagh'. Here is a copy of The Mozziah's tribute, as posted on the True-to-You website: SHELAGH DELANEY
A genuine poet has passed through the world. Shelagh Delaney exercised a wide influence with the shock of plain language, and shafts of satiric wit, into a severe and donnish 1950s world where working-class people had thus far been assumed to be simplistic, flag-waving cannon-fodder. Her writing was a magnificent confession of life as it was commonly lived in her hometown of Salford, with all of its carefully preserved monotony. She was attacked for immorality, which, then as now, is proof that you have hit on something.
'A Taste of Honey' was a sentiment that had not been expressed before its time - far more real than life.
It was the Salford of sagging roofs, rag and bone men, walk-up flats, derelict sites, rear-entrance buses, and life in tight circumstances.
Shelagh Delaney did not become fat with success, or become a celebrity, because she was of richer intellect.
She has always been a part of my life as a perfect example of how to get up and get out and do it. If you worry about respect you don't get it. Shelagh Delaney had it and didn't seem to notice it.
MORRISSEY
Los Angeles, November 2011. SHELAGH DELANEY
A genuine poet has passed through the world. Shelagh Delaney exercised a wide influence with the shock of plain language, and shafts of satiric wit, into a severe and donnish 1950s world where working-class people had thus far been assumed to be simplistic, flag-waving cannon-fodder. Her writing was a magnificent confession of life as it was commonly lived in her hometown of Salford, with all of its carefully preserved monotony. She was attacked for immorality, which, then as now, is proof that you have hit on something.
'A Taste of Honey' was a sentiment that had not been expressed before its time - far more real than life.
It was the Salford of sagging roofs, rag and bone men, walk-up flats, derelict sites, rear-entrance buses, and life in tight circumstances.
Shelagh Delaney did not become fat with success, or become a celebrity, because she was of richer intellect.
She has always been a part of my life as a perfect example of how to get up and get out and do it. If you worry about respect you don't get it. Shelagh Delaney had it and didn't seem to notice it.
MORRISSEY
Los Angeles, November 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mozziah Archive