Friday, 31 August 2012
My Ultimate Morrissey Set List
I have NEVER been disappointed by a Morrissey concert, or indeed it's content. I have enjoyed every set of every show, and I LOVE the fact that every time I have seen him, there have been different songs. With most major artists, including the likes of The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, who both have huge back catalogues, you can pretty much predict that certain songs will appear, whereas with Morrissey, you can't, and that is one of the beauties of seeing him live.
Having said that, in much the same way as Desert Island Discs invites somebody to choose the songs they would take with them to a desert island, I have decided to create my 'Ultimate Morrissey Set List.' To arrive at the ultimate set list, I am going to work my way through a list of the tracks on each Morrissey/The Smiths album, and take my favourite songs from each. I will then whittle the list down to just twenty one songs, and then put them in a set list order. If anybody would like to write their own 'Ultimate Set List' in the comments section, then please feel free. Here we go:
The Smiths: Reel Around The Fountain, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, What Difference Does It Make?, I Don't Owe You Anything.
Hatful Of Hollow: William, It Was Really Nothing, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now?, Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want.
Meat Is Murder: The Headmaster Ritual, I Want The One I Can't Have, What She Said, Barbarism Begins At Home, Meat Is Murder.
The Queen Is Dead: The Queen Is Dead, I Know It's Over, Never Had No One Ever, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.
The World Won't Listen: Shakespeare's Sister, Shoplifters of the World Unite, Stretch Out and Wait, Rubber Ring.
Louder Than Bombs: Sheila Take A Bow, Sweet and Tender Hooligan.
Strangeways Here We Come: A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours, Death of a Disco Dancer, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Unhappy Birthday, I Won't Share You.
Viva Hate: Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead.
Bona Drag: November Spawned a Monster.
Kill Uncle: Sing Your Life.
Your Arsenal: You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side, The National Front Disco, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Tomorrow.
Beethoven Was Deaf: Sister I'm A Poet.
Vauxhall and I: Now My Heart Is Full, Billy Budd, Hold on to Your Friends, Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself, Speedway.
Southpaw Grammar: The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils, Reader Meet Author, The Operation.
Maladjusted: Maladjusted, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me.
My Early Burglary Years: I've Changed My Plea to Guilty.
You Are The Quarry: Irish Blood, English Heart, I Have Forgiven Jesus, Come Back to Camden, The World Is Full of Crashing Bores, How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, I Like You, You Know I Couldn't Last, Teenage Dad on His Estate, Friday Mourning, The Never-Played Symphonies, Mexico.
Ringleader of the Tormentors: Dear God Please Help Me, You Have Killed Me, Life Is a Pigsty.
Years of Refusal: Something Is Squeezing My Skull, Black Cloud, All You Need Is Me, One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, You Were Good In Your Time, Sorry Doesn't Help, I'm OK by Myself.
Swords: Shame Is The Name.
Unreleased: Scandinavia, Action Is My Middle Name, People Are the Same Everywhere.
I now have eighty songs that I have to get down to twenty one. I think the easiest thing to do is just work from the top and list the MUST haves, and see how many I'm left with. Here goes:
Reel Around the Fountain, What Difference Does it Make?, William, It Was Really Nothing, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now?, The Headmaster Ritual, Barbarism Begins at Home, The Queen Is Dead, I Know It's Over, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Death of a Disco Dancer, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead, November Spawned a Monster, The National Front Disco, Trouble Loves Me, I've Changed My Plea to Guilty, Come Back to Camden, The World Is Full of Crashing Bores, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, I Like You, Teenage Dad on His Estate, Friday Mourning, Dear God Please Help Me, Life Is a Pigsty, I'm OK by Myself, Shame Is the Name, Scandinavia.
I now have thirty songs which I need to get down to twenty one. My list surprisingly has NO tracks from; Kill Uncle, Vauxhall and I or Southpaw Grammar. I shall now reluctantly ditch; Barbarism, Suedehead, First of the Gang, Teenage Dad, Friday Mourning, Dear God, OK by Myself, Shame Is the Name and Scandinavia, so here is my ultimate set list:
1. What Difference Does It Make? (The Smiths)
2. William, It Was Really Nothing (Hatful Of Hollow)
3. Everyday Is Like Sunday (Viva Hate)
4. November Spawned a Monster (Bona Drag)
5. Death of a Disco Dancer (Strangeways Here We Come)
6. Come Back to Camden (You Are The Quarry)
7. Reel Around the Fountain (The Smiths)
8. This Charming Man (Hatful Of Hollow)
9. The National Front Disco (Your Arsenal)
10. Life is a Pigsty (Ringleader of the Tormentors)
11. I Like You (You Are The Quarry)
12. Let Me Kiss You (You Are The Quarry)
13. Trouble Loves Me (Maladjusted)
14. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty (My Early Burglary Years)
15. The Headmaster Ritual (Meat Is Murder)
16. The World Is Full of Crashing Bores (You Are The Quarry)
17. I Know It's Over (The Queen Is Dead)
18. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (Strangeways Here We Come)
19. The Queen Is Dead (The Queen Is Dead)
20. How Soon Is Now? (Hatful Of Hollow)
21. There is a Light That Never Goes Out (The Queen Is Dead)
Posted by TRB at 00:30
- ► 2017 (140)
- ► 2016 (89)
- ► 2015 (136)
- ► 2014 (251)
- ► 2013 (122)
- My Ultimate Morrissey Set List
- Day 351 Thursday August 30th 2012
- Day 349 Tuesday August 28th 2012
- Day 347 Sunday August 26th 2012
- Day 346 Saturday August 25th 2012
- Day 345 Friday August 24th 2012
- Day 344 Thursday August 23rd 2012
- Day 342 Tuesday August 21st 2012
- Day 339 - Chats With Our Mozzer
- Day 337 - Thursday August 16th 2012
- Day 336 - Wednesday August 15th 2012
- Following The Mozziah Day 335 Tuesday August 14th ...
- Day 331 - THE HISTORY OF MORRISSEY'S BLUE ROSE SOC...
- Day 330 - Thursday August 9th 2012
- DAY 329 - WEDS AUGUST 8TH 2012
- Day 328 - Tuesday August 7th 2012
- Day 327 - Monday August 6th 2012
- Day 326 - 'Our Mozzer' Returns
- Following The Mozziah Day 324 Friday August 3rd 20...
- Following The Mozziah Day 323 - Thursday August 2n...
- Following The Mozziah Day 322 Wednesday August 1st...
- ▼ August (21)