Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Day 363 - Top 10 Time

This morning I awoke to find that 'Our Mozzer' had returned to twitter, but by mid morning he'd disappeared again! He only tweeted a couple of retweets, including the one from Boy George which read: "@itsmorrissey It's quite corporate here? @morrisseysworld has the edge! xx" Did 'Our Mozzer' return to twitter JUST to retweet Boy George? The bizarre thing is, I can't find the original tweet on Boy George's timeline, I am sure he has deleted it, but why?, is there some sort of game going on? '@Greyergirl' also re-appeared at around the same time, to retweet an '@SJRaphael' tweet about Morrissey. Hmm.

Boz Boorer is obviously not holed up in a rehearsal room, teaching Anthony Burulcich (the new drummer) all of Morrissey's back catalogue, because 'Official Boz' (@Boz_Boorer), has tweeted to say that he is in his recording studio in Portugal, and has just finished an album with TJ Mayes, and has Louise Aubrie coming in today. There is no sign of Boz's own album in the Uk chart, but I must recommend a track from it called 'Bozanova', it sounds like it belongs in a sixties film, it's brilliant, I mean, er, mesmerising.

And talking of the sixties, it has often bemused a number of music critics, as to why Morrissey has a love of old Eurovision song contest songs, particularly from the nineteen sixties. It has never been bemusing to me, because I  have always loved 'Eurovision', but as I was born in 1965, my first memories of the contest are around the mid seventies, with 'Ding-a-Dong' by Teach-In being my favourite. I missed all the sixties entries, as I just wasn't old enough, and nobody had ever introduced them to me, that is, until I started following the whole MorrisseysWorld phenomenon. The MW experience has brought me into contact with new friends (?), and they in turn have brought to my attention songs and artists from the 60's, particularly French Eurovision stars, and other artists who made such an impression on a young Morrissey.

One of the most interesting singers that I have been introduced to (by both '@dots_and_dots' and '@mmedestaelghost') from the sixties eurovision era, is France Gall, who this week has two new entries in 'The Blue Rose Top 10', including the number one, 'Poupee de Cire, Poupee de Son'. Gall released her first single at the age of sixteen, and won the 1965 Eurovision song contest at the age of eighteen, with 'Poupee'. The song was written by Serge Gainsbourg, who it is said had a great deal of control over Gall during her early career. She now refuses to talk about Gainsbourg and refuses to sing 'Poupee'. If you've never read about Gall, I highly recommend you do.

The MorrisseysWorld phenomenon has given me much pleasure and intrigue, but it has also helped me find the music of; Rita Pavone, Francoise Hardy, France Gall, Sylvie Vartan, Nico, Mary Langley and The Paris Sisters amongst others, and for that, I shall be eternally grateful.



THE BLUE ROSE TOP 10 - WEEK BEGINNING SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 9TH 2012

1. POUPEE DE CIRE, POUPEE DE SON - FRANCE GALL (NEW ENTRY)
2. HEART - RITA PAVONE (DOWN 1)
3. SO LITTLE TIME - DIANA DORS (NEW ENTRY)
4. BEBE REQUIN - FRANCE GALL (NEW ENTRY)
5. I KNOW IT'S OVER (LIVE IN MANCHESTER 2012) - MORRISSEY (UP 1)
6. NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY)
7. WRAP YOUR TROUBLES IN DREAMS - NICO (NEW ENTRY)
8. NOW I AM A WAS - OUR MOZZER (WHILST DUSTING) (NEW ENTRY)
9. POURTANT TU M'AIMES - FRANCOISE HARDY (NEW ENTRY)
10. SO LITTLE TIME - ANDY WILLIAMS (NEW ENTRY)

Todays chart countdown took place in The Twitterdilly Arms at the unusual time of 3.45pm, and the turnout was superb. In attendance was: @greyergirl, @heathercat222, @Lizzycatmoz, new girl @DeniseRobinson, @girlwithout, @dots_and_dots, new boy @RFerdenzi, @GirlOnBike1102, @mancladmozfan, cathyplus5, @i2177 and right at the end, @caterita2008. Surely ONE of that lot HAS to be Morrissey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mozziah Archive