Total Pageviews

Saturday, 20 October 2012

Day 402 - In The Midst Of Life, We Are In Death ETC

This morning, as I was getting ready to take my dog for an early walk, I decided to take a quick peek at my twitter timeline, to see if anything out of the ordinary had happened at last night's Morrissey concert.

I enjoy my first visit of the day to twitter, especially if the 'log on' backdrop picture is the one of the men playing cricket in a dusty field - simple things eh?

MY FAVOURITE TWITTER LOG ON PICTURE

As I log on each morning, my first thought, if Morrissey has had a concert the previous evening, is, 'Did Morrissey perform Trouble Loves Me last night?' So far, it has always been a 'NO', but I was excited this morning, to find that 'Sweet And Tender Hooligan' had been performed yesterday in Niagara Falls, so as the dog jumped up my leg with impatience, I grabbed my ipod and headphones, and we headed out for our walk, with me looking forward to playing 'Hooligan' at full volume.


ME AND 'FANG' SET OUT ON OUR STROLL


As we walked through the small copse at the back of my house, I scrolled through my ipod in search of 'Hooligan', but to my annoyance, it WASN'T there. I knew that I didn't have ALL the Smiths and solo songs on my ipod, but I was surprised at myself for having left off such a great song. I decided instead to listen to Asian Rut, prompted by catching a bit of it on YouTube yesterday. As my dog got excited at seeing two baby red squirrels chasing each other in a game of tag, I became further annoyed at myself, on the realisation that 'Rut' wasn't on my ipod either!


SQUIRRELS - OBLIVIOUS TO ASIAN RUT NOT BEING ON MY IPOD

As soon as I returned home, I immediately added Asian Rut to my ipod, but I found I didn't even HAVE 'Hooligan' in my itunes library! It would appear that as I only have 'Louder Than Bombs' on vinyl, and not cd, I have NEVER had this song in mp3 format. I was left with two choices, purchase my first EVER Smiths song from itunes, or download it for free from YouTube. As I already OWNED the song, it seemed ridiculous to buy it again, so although I felt terrible guilt downloading a Morrissey song, albeit that it's a perfectly legal thing to do, I did.


SWEET AND TENDER HOOLIGAN - ONLY RELEASED AS A SINGLE IN THE US


Downloading songs from YouTube is very easy, I have done it a number of times before, but thankfully, for artists like Morrissey, YouTube DON'T allow you to take anything and everything, for example, the 'Studio In Session' songs CAN'T be downloaded, but what IS the future for song purchasing, particularly where Morrissey is concerned?

Since Morrissey's last album release in 2009, cd sales have continued to decline, as downloading takes it's place, and it won't be long before cds disappear altogether. I personally have never been a fan of cds, and would much rather buy ALL new songs on vinyl, and I have NO DOUBT, that when Morrissey does EVENTUALLY get a new record deal, he WILL release in a vinyl format, but I don't want to have to ALSO pay for downloads of the songs that I am buying on vinyl, and I don't really want to have to burn them from YouTube, so without cds, what is the answer to getting an mp3 version?

Personally, I would like to see Morrissey release his new material just on vinyl, but with a code attached to each record, allowing the owner to legally download the content of the vinyl in mp3 format, at no extra cost.  If this idea worked, vinyl could have a complete re-birth. Todays youth are just as passionate about their music as my generation was, and sales of singles are VERY healthy, but SURELY the kids of today would LOVE to be able to hold something physical in their hand, and build a collection, rather than just have a download?

TELEPHONE BY LADY GAGA WAS THE LAST UK NO.1 TO BE ISSUED ON 7' VINYL - OVER TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO!


NONE of the last TEN number one singles in the UK have been released in ANY other format than digital download, the music purchasing public of today have NOTHING to show for their money. My collection of UK Number 1 singles manages to limp on, thanks to promo cds issued to radio stations, but EVEN these have virtually disappeared. I believe the music industry is missing a trick, VINYL could be the future, and maybe Morrissey could be the man to show them the way!


Rihanna - Diamonds (1 Track Radio Promo CD) Top Condition
DIAMONDS BY RIHANNA - A RECENT UK NO.1 - PROMO CDS SELL FOR OVER £30, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE!

RAPIDS THEATRE, NIAGARA FALLS, NEW YORK OCT 19TH

SET

IN                                                                    OUT
MALADJUSTED                                     PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE
FANTASTIC BIRD                                 ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
SCANDINAVIA                                      SPRING-HEELED JIM
SWEET AND TENDER HOOLIGAN  ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL


Only a couple of songs have so far appeared on YouTube, so there is little to report. There is just a 30 second snippet of 'Hooligan' so far, I can't WAIT for the full version, I just HOPE somebody recorded it! There STILL isn't a full version of 'Fantastic Bird' from ANY of the concerts it's been played at.

Somebody tweeted to say that there was a new stage backdrop, and posted the picture below, but there is NO band in the picture, so it's probably from the pre-concert video, but WHICH song is it from, and WHO is the picture of?


WHO AM I?

It doesn't look as though Morrissey was sporting any finger lingerie for the cut hand, so perhaps it wasn't too bad, although seeing as he wore such a large plaster for that tiny spot on his chest, it is surprising to not see SOMETHING!

Rutger Devon, aka @EcubyanTeaChest, has tweeted to say that there were NO roses at the concert, and that he hadn't bothered taking one. I am astonished that having followed the whole journey, Rutger passed up the chance to say a thank you to Moz with a rose, but I guess the embarrassment was too much, or maybe it just isn't his thing.


ROSE FREE RUTGER


A couple of tweets by a Cuban mother named K.Portero-Mayer (@havanamama) have caught my attention. The first, which was posted just after the concert finished said: "It's so easy to laugh. It's so easy to hate. IT takes strength to be gentle and kind! GREAT CONCERT TONIGHT! Phew! What a show!"

Nothing particularly fascinating about that first tweet, but at 3.30 am, K.Portero-Mayer tweeted: "I think I am going vegetarian for real!" I am guessing that  'Meat Is Murder'  had SUCH an effect on K.P-M, that she awoke in the night, and decided it was time to change her life. The same thing happened to me in March 1985, after seeing Meat Is Murder performed live for the first time. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon, and continued to eat meat. It is only recently that I finally managed to give up red meat completely, but I still eat fish and chicken. Eating meat is an addiction, and a habit. I actually feel ashamed that I eat animals, but like any addict with a habit, knowing something is wrong is one thing, having the strength to kick your addiction is another, but I am trying.


IT TAKES STRENGTH TO BE GENTLE AND KIND


There are no concerts now until Tuesday, so in the absence of MorrisseysWorld and TRM, I shall probably have a few days completely away from the internet.....yet another of my addictions!


4 comments:

  1. Ratto - I have the Studio in Session tracks in MP3 format if you want them, also the Hollywood Bowl concert. Squeak if you'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear lord.
    that is one song I always dreamed of hearing. and he did it.
    if it had *just* been one week earlier!:)
    can't even imagine what it must have been like to have
    heard those opening bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the video in question is a clip from a James Baldwin documentary film which I just posted on twitter. I also just posted a couple of pics from last night's concert where you can see there was actually a bandage on Mozzer's left hand. I hope the wound heals quickly and I'm certainly most delighted that he played 'Hooligan.' I can only hope that I'll be lucky enough to hear it live in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thank you for your interesting blog today, Pier, about music sales.
    It was very informative and I love the illustrating photos,
    especially you and dog and the young Moz. * frink *

    Very good research from Heather identifying the backdrop and the
    black bandage on Mr M's left hand.
    I am wondering if hands are the weak spot of a Gemini person ?
    ( note to self - must Google that )

    Enjoy your break from the tyranny of the interweb and Twit !

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive