Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Day 483 - Take The High Road

5.30 am NEW YORK TIME: Having stayed up late yesterday to write my blog and then watch the Letterman show, I eventually laid my VERY weary head on my pillow at 1am, thinking that I would sleep soundly for the next eight hours. As the dreadful Jim Diamond once sung, 'well I should've known better,' as A) I NEVER sleep well in hotels, B) I am SO excited about Long Island and C) Some c*nt worked all through the night refurbishing an office block adjoining my hotel room, and was drilling all night. I woke at 3.15, 4.17, 5.25, and then gave up trying. I am typing this instead. This hotel is DREADFUL!

The only saving grace is that I am now only going to be staying here for two more nights, because on Friday, straight after the Brooklyn concert, I will be heading for Atlantic City in New Jersey, to see my fourth Moz performance (yes, I know, they aren't performances but I can't think of another word, particularly when one is including a tv show with just one song in it!) of the week. Kyle's dad has a spare ticket and has also offered to drive me down to Jersey, so I will be leaving Midlife Matt and STS to have some romantic time on their own in Manhattan, while I get to see Moz AGAIN, and hopefully a few hours sleep.


HOUSE OF BLUES, ATLANTIC CITY - SATURDAY'S CONCERT VENUE


As I sit here in my bed at 5.30 in the morning, I have taken a quick look at twitter, and have caught up on the comments left on my blog from yesterday. I also forgot to mention that I spoke briefly to David Letterman yesterday, as he was stood outside the stage door. I have to say, he looked much older than the sixty five he is reported to be, and unless the make-up artist is particularly bad on the Late Show, I would say that he has had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, which close up, doesn't look too convincing.
Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps he is just not aging very well. I have just read that he had major heart surgery in 2000, so maybe such strains take a toll on your life.


From the comments that I've read, nobody has been able to read what was on Morrissey's badge (pin) on the Letterman Show, but Romina has suggested that it may be a PETA badge. Romina was also the only person to spot that Moz was wearing nail varnish.


THE TRASHY NAIL VARNISH IS BACK

It has been reported by Joe Frady (one of the few intelligent users on So-Low) that the drum photo is of Steve Cochran, the American actor that Morrissey was named after.


STEVE COCHRAN


7.25 am NYC: The buzz on twitter this morning has been about a new Moz interview that has been published today in Loaded magazine. It is a really entertaining interview, and probably the best Moz has given in the last year. He comes across as very knowledgeable about current affairs, and is both witty and sharp throughout the interview. My favourite quotes from the interview are as follows:

(in answer to 'Would Boris Johnson make a good Prime Minister') "Only in the same way that Anne Widdecombe would make a good pole-vaulter."

"Apparently Germany is not powerful enough to make Merkel look as if she hasn't dressed in a hurry. You must wonder who told her that those box-jackets round her off nicely."

NICELY ROUNDED OFF

LOADED HIGHLIGHTS CONTINUED:

"Christine Legarde, the French finance minister, is the only exception of brilliance, body and glamour combined. Thatcher, by distant comparison, looked like an extra from 'Take the High Road.'

THATCHER IN TAKE THE HIGH ROAD, AN OLD SCOTTISH DRAMA(?) SERIES

"Cameron and Miliband are in politics for the sheer fun of human chess - a bit like playing Monopoly but with real, little folk." SURELY this quote has nothing to do with the MorrisseysWorld parody piece of December 27th, where Morrissey played Monopoly, ironically with a 'little' version of himself!

Despite the interview being so witty, the only comment that our old friend Uncle Skinny has so far posted on So-Low is, "I found this quotation interesting - "I nearly voted for UKIP - I like Nigel Farage a great deal."" What Skinny is REALLY saying is, 'Morrissey must be racist because he supports some of UKIP's ideas.' It is exactly the same as when Skinny wrote about Morrissey in 2006 saying, "I don't like the racist undertones." Skinny has made it blatantly clear that he thinks Morrissey is a racist, so why doesn't he just say it? I personally had no idea that the Undertones were racist, I thought they were Irish!


THE UNDERTONES ARE IRISH, NOT RACIST

Maybe I've got Skinny all wrong, perhaps he finds the Nigel Farage quote 'interesting' because of a set of tweets from December the 30th. I had jokingly tweeted to say that I was Duncan Barkes and '@MorrisseysWorld' tweeted back saying, "Are you the one that saved Nigel Farage's life?" As a matter of interest, Duncan Barkes DID pull Farage from the wreckage of a plane crash, but the mention of Farage by both Our Mozzer AND TRM (The Real Morrissey) within the space of a fortnight IS interesting, so Skinny is right; although I somehow doubt that's what he meant.


NIGEL FARAGE BEING RESCUED BY DUNCAN 'THE RAT' BARKES

8.30am I have just counted down the brand new Twitterdilly Arms chart to a good sized audience. It was by no means a sell out in the Twit Arms, but I gave it my all, as I always do. Disaster has struck, I can't find my toothbrush, I must have left it in Wimbledon. I have done what we all do in such circumstances, scrubbed my teeth with my index finger, but it's not the same. I shall venture out in a minute in search of a new one, after all, I can't arrive at the Tilles Center tonight and expect Moz to take the Blue Rose from my teeth with my breath smelling of last night's pasta!


Right, I'm off to buy a toothbrush, then to get some breakfast, then to go cycling in Central Park, then to go to Long Island, then to meet President Kyle and his dad, then to watch Moz, then to give him a rose, then to come back to Manhattan, then to blog! At this rate, there really will be NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN. I need a holiday!

CYCLISTS IN CENTRAL PARK

And finally for now, although of course I will blog tonight after the concert, Boz Boorer has just tweeted to say that tonight is his 800th show with Moz. The build up to tonight's show just gets better by the minute. I wonder if anything special is planned?


BOZ - 800 TODAY


THE TWITTERDILLY ARMS TOP 10 - FOR THE WEEK SUN 6TH - SAT 12TH JAN 2013


1. EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY - MOZKIDKYLE (NEW ENTRY)
2. TROUBLE LOVES ME - MORRISSEY (UP 3)
3. HAND IN GLOVE - SANDIE SHAW (NEW ENTRY)
4. I'VE CHANGED MY PLEA TO GUILTY - MORRISSEY (UP 3)
5. WHERE ARE THEY NOW? - GENE (NEW ENTRY)
6. HUMAN BEING - NEW YORK DOLLS (NEW ENTRY)
7. IN EVERY DREAM HOME, A HEARTACHE - ROXY MUSIC (RE-ENTRY)
8. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT (LIVE IN MANCHESTER 2012) - MORRISSEY (RE-ENTRY)
9. I KNOW IT'S OVER (LIVE IN MANCHESTER 2012) - MORRISSEY (RE-ENTRY)
10. CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' - MAMAS AND PAPAS (NEW ENTRY)

13 comments:

  1. Oh Rat, you're so funny! Morrissey's interview is very, very clever, but now I got no time for writing all my feeling about it, later! Thank you Rat, and truly hoping for you'll find a new toothbrush...or remove your fake teeth wash with soap and then put them in your mouth once again! Kiss, oh you smell of pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no sleep my first night there, I was near the bus depot
    and could hear *every* coach leaving new york.
    I bought ear plugs the next day.
    I wish I'd spoke to Kyle, but loads of people were taking
    photos of him ... and I felt awkward.
    enjoy every second Rat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the fun of New York - sounds like your hotel really is horrible, I hope you can get some sleep sometime. The Loaded interview is fabulous. I need to read it again when I'm not in a rush, to be able to take it all in, but I love the Monopoly reference. Have a magical time at the concert tonight Rats (& Kyle & Dad & anyone else going) - give lots of love to Mozzer on behalf of us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to be playing catch up today as I've only just seen the clip from Letterman and have read this blog before the interview! Wish I could come for a ride round Central Park with you Ratty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone figured out what the badge says yet?

      Delete
    2. Info courtesy of AYNIM site (good sleuthing there) - the badge is from Safe NZs Stop Factory Farming campaign.

      Delete
  8. Interesting interview in Loaded. Loved the detail about the red wine, followed by hot chocolate, then cheese sandwiches and chips cooked in vegetable oil with an assistant grinding the rock salt.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Agree about the food and drink details GWO.

    Funny that Victoria Wood just wandered in during the interview, as you do !

    Lazy journalist spelling Christine Lagarde's name incorrectly as
    Legarde.

    Rats I can hardly keep up with your NYC exploits. Can't wait for the
    next update, when you have time of course. Enjoy !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still catching up here. Not had a chance to read the Loaded interview yet, or attempt my twit time line.

    I forgot to say in previous thread I am pleased you found the ring.

    I look forward to all your news & hopefully some YouTube footage tomoz. I can't help wondering if Moz got the 'tacky' blue rose & if he did, what he did with it!

    Enjoy , absorb & savour every moment tonight Rats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Rat, hoping for you sleeping and having sweet dreams by now! Just saw three videos of Morrissey concert on So-Low, beautiful! Morrissey's voice is fantastic! Band looks great and very good sound. I saw the big plastic rose to, next to the stage, were you? I saw to a new backdrop, it looks like a picture from "The Giant"= "Il Gigante", I don't know if the american name of the movie is the same, but in Italy is a very popular movie, three hours long and always on television by Christmas time; anyway it was the last movie by James Dean, with Liz Taylor and Rock Hudson. What does it mean? The last tour of Morrissey to? Hopefully no! Take some reat and let me know everyting later! Kiss!

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive