Total Pageviews

Saturday, 26 January 2013

Day 500 - The Blue Rose


THE BLUE ROSE

A man stood upon the chalk cliff and looked out to sea. He stood alone, of course, always alone, and looked out into the blackness, a blackness who's twin brother had, for all of his life, gripped and held him as though a permanent lodger to his soul. Tonight however, the blackness was broken by the full moon, a moon that not only lit the sky but also lit the sea. The light of the moon allowed the sea to show off some of her blue sheen, but still the blackness dominated, always the blackness dominated. And as the moon reflected, so did the man, but while the moon sought no answers, the man sought many, always he sought the answers but usually without conclusion. The man started to walk along the narrow, uneven, chalk path that had been created by many other feet over hundreds of years. The man, not wanting to follow the same path as others, veered off into the light scrub and as he continued his walk, he felt a presence beside him. The man did not turn his head to look and see who had joined him but asked, "How did you find me?" The presence paused and then replied, "It is my job to seek and find you and, as you know, I am never far away. In fact, of all the people I know, you are one of the easiest to find. Do you know why I am here?" The man continued to stroll and as he did, he kicked out at loose bits of chalk and gravel and then replied, "Yes I know why you are here but I am not sure if it is I who seek you, or you that seek me?" The presence laughed gently, almost mockingly and said, "Perhaps we both seek each other, we have a strong bond you and I, for many, many reasons, so tell me, what is on your mind?" The man continued on his walk and stooped to pluck a brooklime, which he then gently nibbled at as he pondered the question. Eventually he responded, "Over the years I have asked you many things and although I listen carefully to your answers and heed your advice, I cannot help but feel that you charlatanize me, do you?" The presence once again laughed, but this time louder and with a sneer to it's laugh, and then said to the man, "Is that EVEN a word? It is only right that you should question everything and everyone but that blackness that clings to you will not leave until you allow it to go. You think it clings to you with a vice like grip but it is you that grips just as hard, a grip I too have felt. Now tell me, do you know of 'The Nightingale and The Rose'?" This time it was the turn of the man to laugh with a mocking tone and through gritted teeth he replied, " Yes, you know full well I know of it, it too grips at my ankles like shackles and much as I love it with all my heart, it burns me, engulfs me, burdens me." The presence smiled to itself, a satisfying smile and said, "Exactly as I wished and pray tell, which character do you see as you?" The man, without hesitation or pause for thought, responded immediately, "I am surprised you need ask, you know full well I am the nightingale, I am the one full of song, I am told beautiful song and yet my song is never enough and I have to give more, always more, I have to bleed, bleed and sing and each day that goes by, I feel the thorn dig deeper, always deeper as it heads to my heart, so I sing new songs and still it is never enough and even those who say they love my song, they critisise and mock and say that the songs I sing are not the songs they want to hear and then there are those who do not know me and certainly don't listen to my songs, they too critisise and call me ugly and sneer at me and try to pull me to the floor where they can kick me, punch me, walk on me, humiliate me and still I sing, I sing and I bleed and one day I will no longer be there and they will miss me when I'm gone, oh yes, they'll miss me when I'm gone." The man fell quiet, he felt both anger and sadness and he continued to walk. The presence let the air hang still and then mused, "Yes, I thought you would see yourself as the nightingale and indeed you do have many of it's traits, for not only do you sing a fair song, but you are also caring, kind and loving but you are neither a bird nor foolish enough to give up your life for one who you know will not appreciate it, you are no more the nightingale than I." The man was incensed, he raised his voice and cried, "How dare you call the nightingale foolish, she sacrificed her life so that another may love." The presence once again laughed, "I can call her what I like but did her death allow another to love? No, it was a lovely sentiment, but as I say, misguided and foolish. You are NOT the nightingale, try again, what other characters are there?" The man gathered his thoughts and then announced, "Well I am CERTAINLY not the student." The presence paused before saying, "But can you be so sure? the student, like you, is well read, single minded and seeks love, are you really so different?" The man swung his foot at a large stone and sent it hurtling down the cliff. His foot stung with the pain of kicking such a stone and he felt a pain in his heart, for he knew that the presence was right. "So I am the selfish and shallow student am I?" he asked defeatedly, "No of course not," bellowed the presence, once again laughing as he continued, "Do you really think that I should think so little of you? No, you will no doubt be pleased to know, you are NOT the student, but you do have many of his traits. Now, try again." Once again the man pondered, it was easy for him to recollect the characters from a story he knew so well and the character's raced through his mind. "Surely I am not the cynical, mocking lizard?" he enquired? The presence grinned and replied, "Once again you have his characteristics but his role is small, no you are not the lizard, nor are you the white rose, for although the white rose symbolises; purity, innocence and secrecy, all traits that you have, the white rose has always had to play second fiddle to the red rose and you play second fiddle to nobody." The man jumped in, "So I am the red rose, filled with love, respect, courage and passion? Yes, this is indeed me and as we know, the red rose in the story, having been filled with the blood and soul of the nightingale, ends up in the gutter where it is run over by a cart. Yes, at last I can see, I am the red rose, not the nightingale but I have the blood and spirit of the nightingale within me." The presence guffawed with laughter and said, "I should have guessed that you would relate to being tossed to the gutter, your self degradation becomes you, it is one of the most beautiful traits you possess and yes you are SO like the red rose, indeed if the rose were you, I can almost picture it smiling as it lay in the gutter waiting for the cart to crush it. If the student hadn't tossed the red rose to the gutter, I do believe it would have jumped there itself, although of course, as I think about it, I think it more likely in fact, that the rose would TALK about tossing itself to the gutter and would MOCK itself but wouldn't ACTUALLY choose to jump, no, instead, it would hope for a stay of execution and would long to be pinned to the student's lapel or hope that the intended recipient see sense and accept it after all, so that there would be a 'happy ever after'. Mmm, you are very nearly the red rose, but not quite, so try again." The man looked perplexed and announced, "I am running out of characters, I cannot possibly be the rose tree, for although it shows some knowledge in that it is able to supply the nightingale with the solution of how to produce a red rose, it has a nasty, perverse streak and it seems to cajole the nightingale to pull closer to the thorns, knowing that the nightingale's death will be a death for no reason. No, I am NOT the murdering rose tree." The man stopped and looked toward the sea, the moon's reflection had gone. He looked up and saw that a large cloud had smothered the moon, as though trying to keep it quiet as it rummaged through it's pockets. The man had still not turned to look at the presence, but knew he was still there. The man spoke, "So who am I?" The presence puffed itself up as though preparing for it's final submission to the court and said, "You are the centre piece to the story, the main character, is it not obvious? You are the professor's daughter." The man was confused, "But why?" he asked. The presence continued, "The whole story revolves around the daughter. The student deeply loves her and wants to impress her, the nightingale is prepared to die for her, so that she can get what she wants, the red rose is wanted by her and then rejected by her and the chamberlain's nephew even buys jewels for her. She is everything, YOU are everything. You have traits of everything and everybody in the story. You ARE the story. You are Unattainable, Impossible and exist only in fantasy, not in nature. You are unrequited. You are the first of all pleasures. I both love you and need you." The man looked content. He said, "And if I am the professor's daughter, then you must be the professor. You professor, are trouble, the trouble that loves me." The man smiled and turned to face the presence for the first time, but nobody was there, just a blue rose.

56 comments:

  1. Great find. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back! What a lying piece of shit. But who's surprised? "I won't be back" "The end of the journey". Does anyone have any reason to believe anything this lying shyster says AT ALL? You shouldn't. What an absolute disgrace of a 'human'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Ratty bothers you so much, why do you pay him any attention? Go back to your cesspit and hurl insults and abuse there. You are not welcome here!

      Delete
    2. He's a liar, a cheat and a fraudster. You've taken far too long to figure it out, but it'll come to you soon, you brain-dead moron.

      Delete

    3. Have you considered " Anger Management Therapy " Anonymous ?
      I really think that you need it.
      If this blog makes you so annoyed perhaps it is best if you don't visit here any more.

      Delete
    4. I expected nothing less here. Everyone knew that he would return; an attention-seeker like this is very predictable. I guess maybe there was another sign.

      Delete
    5. Have you actually met Ratty? So how do you know all these things? I have met him and spoken with him for a few hours and am quite happy with what I have seen of him. So please let me be the judge of my own fate!

      Delete
  3. Great! Viva BlueRose! TheBlueRoseSociety!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an utterly charming piece of writing to post on your return Rats.

    I am very happy to see you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-reading this is just as beautiful as the first time round! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how can one not love the nightingale? Even if one is just a little stone on the floor looking up to it? Oh, the music...

    ReplyDelete

  7. Congratulations on your 500th posting Rats,
    so glad to have you here.

    ReplyDelete

  8. One of my favourite blogs from you was Day 379 " I Know Nothing About Twitter. "
    It mentions the original number of Moz followers and who are now left, as well as an interesting
    interview with Moz.

    In reality it was hard to choose just one favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely surprise to see that you selected my favorite piece, 'The Blue Rose,' for your return on Day 500. Welcome back, my whiskery friend. We certainly missed you when you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 500th blogday, Ratty! You led us all on a wild rat chase.................... ~(__^>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really? You can't keep a promise either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blue Roses by Rudyard Kipling

    Roses red and roses white
    Plucked I for my love's delight.
    She would none of all my posies--
    Bade me gather her blue roses.

    Half the world I wandered through,
    Seeking where such flowers grew;
    Half the world unto my quest
    Answered me with laugh and jest.

    Home I came at wintertide,
    But my silly love had died,
    Seeking with her latest breath
    Roses from the arms of Death.

    It may be beyond the grave
    She shall find what she would have.
    Mine was but an idle quest--
    Roses white and red are best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Love the Kipling poem Sabine.

      One of my favourites by him is " If. "

      Delete

  13. Just want to use this platform to say ' Get Well Soon ' to our Moz who is laid up in hospital
    in Michigan, having tests for a possible bladder infection.

    I hope he is up and around and back with us soon. He is always missed.

    With love and hugs xx
    Blue Rose Society Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can't be a pleasant thing to deal with. Our thoughts are with Moz that he will be feeling much better soon. All best wishes for a speedy recovery. xx

      Delete
  14. Perhaps the MW film should be entitled '500 Days of Following the Mozziah' (inspired by another film with a similar title). :-) Cheers Rats, we hope there will be many more days if your schedule allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other film is indeed quite sweet.

      Delete
  15. 500 blogdays! Who would have thought it.
    Some of us who are still around here have a few more days on following t'other blog. Is Manc the longest standing (just) still surviving MWorlder?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very enchanting story and congratulations on reaching the Day 500 milestone! Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have got so carried away by what you wrote, that I'm afraid I lost my focus a little - nothing unsual unfortunately - so let me try again.

    I don't think I can really imagine how much work you have put on Following the Mozziah - 500 days long. But the dedication shows. Without your blog I don't think I'd have even came that close to MorrisseysWorld - it was and still is my compass. I've mentioned it earlier today, so I hope you don't mind me repeating: you're a poet - even if a freaking funny one at times. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Ratty you're still with us and in top form! Hoping for a speedy recovery of Morrissey and other 500 posts of this ffaboulous blog! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Rat nice to see you on here! Kyle and I would like to wish you the best Morrissey, you Kristeen and the entire band are in our thoughts and prayers. Feel better and stay strong. Viva Morrissey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Rat PLEASE don't stay away to long;)

      Delete
  21. Sending my love & get well wishes to Morrissey.

    Love & strength for Kristeen.

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 500th Day! It was hard to pick just one favorite, so I will go with the first one I read. It was Dec 29, 2011 and was a parody of Christmas Eve 2011. It had Moz dancing and lip syncing while Boz laid about in his underwear. Both were in Moz's bedroom as they goofed off and planned mischief like changing people's internet accounts. As I said it was my first visit to your blog and all the other humorous parodies and other posts since have kept me coming back. I too want to wish Moz and his band a speedy recovering and send condolences to Kristeen Young. And again, Happy Day 500 to you Ratty. #BlueRoseSociety

    ReplyDelete
  23. Knew you would be back..Arnie was right

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated 500th day glad you are back much love x

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Following hospital treatment, Morrissey has been diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer and the upcoming engagements in Asheville, NC, Nashville, TN, Atlanta, GA, Lawrence, KS, Clear Lake, IA and Lincoln, NE will need to be rescheduled. Morrissey is expected to make a full recovery and thanks everyone concerned for their support during this time. The tour will resume in Las Vegas on Saturday, February 9. Patrons are encouraged to hold on to their tickets as all rescheduled dates will be announced within the coming days.
    Morrissey apologizes greatly for any and all inconvenience and looks forward to continuing his US tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such horrible news :'(

      Delete
    2. So sorry Asheville had to be postponed, Leslie :( Our thoughts and prayers are with Morrissey that he may heal quickly and get well soon.

      Delete
    3. Look after yourself, Morrissey. You are in our hearts and thoughts!

      Sabine xx

      Delete
    4. I will be in Vegas San Diego and LA with Red white and blue roses

      I do hope he will.recover soon as well as the rest of the band members who are sick.

      Delete
    5. Hi heathercat - I'm not concerned that the show has been cancelled. I'm just really upset that Morrissey is so ill. I just want him to get better... :( Thanks for your kind words. Yes, definitely thoughts and prayers for our main man.

      Delete
    6. Sending wishes for Morrissey to have a quick and pleasant recovery. Take it easy and here's hoping you feel much better soon!
      Monti

      Delete
  27. Get well soon Morrissey love. Ang to Kristeen Young strength hun! I hope you do get back to work very soon, like you said! To all I hope all is well" Rat, Kristeen, Morrissey, Boz...We'll be waiting!! Much love <3
    * I really hope Moz dont need surgery...cuz those ulcers r not nice at all...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found out few minutes ago that you are back. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Rat, no good news as I was hoping for! A statement said Morrissey affected by a bleeding ulcer and I think it could be something quite serious! Of course i truly wishing to be wrong, but Morrissey is under great pressure for his work, his family, his mum was recovered two month ago, and so I think is more difficult having a speedy recovery! Someone blamed on Susan Blond about vague news posted, but truly i don't understand this kind of people, what she could send, a complete medical bulletin? Now Morrissey needs exellent medical care, rest, calm and all our love! Sending good vibration! Take care dea Rat, don't take to seriously your work, share a little bit of your time with us, ciao!

    ReplyDelete

  30. Dear Moz/TRM etc.,

    Very sad to hear the news about your ulcer - it must have been very painful for you.

    Take time to rest and recuperate and de-stress. It has been a difficult few months
    for you, one way and the other.

    Love and hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Rat.

    I just wanted to pop by to say I hope you are okay & we miss you.

    Of course Morrissey remains very much in my thoughts.

    My love to you both. xx



    ReplyDelete
  33. First of all Rat I have missed reading your blog and do hope that you continue to keep writing. Congratulation on you 500.

    This is very lovely.

    To our Mozzer I hope for a speedy recovery. The fans that are really true to you were very worried about you. waiting for news of your health.

    It is sad that their are people in the world that call themselves "fans" that show nothing but disrespect to our mozzer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow first his mam now moz himself, let
    s hoe tat this is the end of their bad luck, we are all hoping it will be ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot to add Boz's arm, band with the flu and Kristeen's mother. I am beginning to believe his luck is as bad as mine---or maybe I'm jinxing him, perhaps I may have to stop following him. I sure hope they all heal quickly and complete the tour without any further incidents. #BlueRoseSociety

      Delete

Mozziah Archive