Tuesday, 3 December 2013
Day 811 - Pop Music
WOOLWORTHS RECORD DEPARTMENT
On Saturday December 8th 1979, a thirteen year old me caught the bus from my village into town, and headed straight to the record department in F.W. Woolworth. I cannot remember exactly how many 7" singles I bought that day, it was probably two or three, but one that I DEFINITELY bought was Complex by Gary Numan. The reason I know I bought this particular record is because when I got home, I played it over and over and over again, driving my family to distraction.
ME LISTENING TO GARY NUMAN - DEC 1979
That Saturday in December 1979 was NOT the first, and certainly not the last time that I had bought a pop record and played it non stop, but it just happened to be the first instance that came to mind this morning, as I hit the re-play button on my ipod for the umpteenth time, to play the song Satellite of Love, the new single released by Morrissey yesterday as a digital download.
"The joy of music is that it allows one to dream, which in turn allows one to find that grain of hope. Hope is not a moral; it is a life-force. A good song is as abstract as a dream or nightmare, tethered to reality by frayed threads, liable to snap at any given moment. The song drags one out of bed, it pushes one back into bed and it fills the short period in between. The song - to the true lover of music - is birth, death, and that other part we bravely call 'life.' - Extract from 'An Essay On The Beginnings of a New Man' - First produced on MorrisseysWorld.blogspot.com on Sunday 21 August 2011. Writer 'Unknown' (Posted as 'Morrissey').
Pop music is still EVERYTHING.
Posted by TRB at 09:42
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (87)
- ► 2015 (136)
- ► 2014 (251)
- Day 833 - A Christmas Message from Our Mozzer
- Day 831 - The Sun Shines Out of Cocteau
- Day 830 - Jean(e) Genet/Jean(e) Cocteau/Jean(e) Ma...
- Day 828 - The Story of The Mind
- Day 827 - Jean(e) Cocteau and the Blue Rose
- Day 826 - Jean(e) Genet
- Day 825 - The Big Ship Sails On
- Day 824 - Surrealism
- Following The Mozziah - The Pantomime Act 1 Scene ...
- Day 821 - Trousergate
- Day 820 - The Bollocks Remain
- Day 819 - All Eyes on OslO
- Day 818 - Two Lumps Please
- Day 817 - OslO Week
- Day 812 - The Missing Gems from Morrissey's Autobi...
- Day 811 - Pop Music
- Day 810 - The New Johnny 'F**king' Marr
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2012 (301)