Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Day 931 - An I for an I.... and 'I' Love Patti Smith!

A couple of weeks ago, the Twitterdilly Arms was being described by some of the regulars as a modern day equivalent of either Max's Kansas City or Andy Warhol's Factory of the 1960s, but with Morrissey currently not frequenting The Arms, it feels more like a British Leyland factory of the 1970s! I somehow managed to put together a chart yesterday, but with Morrissey away, most of the regulars have disappeared, and the ones that are still propping up the bar of 'The World's Number 1 Morrissey Themed Internet Pub', seem more interested in discussing kittens and penguins than playing the jukebox or discussing Morrissey. This is not what I signed up for.

THE EMPTY TWITTERDILLY ARMS


As we all wait patiently for Morrissey's new tour, and for the release of 'World Peace is None of Your Business', I have been thinking about what sort of songs might be on the new LP. I have decided that my favourite 'type' of Moz song are the songs where he sings about himself, i.e, the 'I' and 'Me' songs, which is not to say I don't like Morrissey's 'story' songs such as 'Little Man, What Now?' and 'National Front Disco', it's just that the 'I' songs are the ones that really seem to mean the most.

It would be impossible to say what my favourite Morrissey album is, because it depends on a mood, but if push came to shove, and I could keep just ONE Moz/Smiths album, it would probably be 'You Are the Quarry'.... the deluxe version, obviously!


DELUXE EDITION..... MORE SONGS!


Interestingly, on Quarry, there are LOTS of 'I' songs; 'I Have Forgiven Jesus', 'I'm Not Sorry', 'How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?', 'I Like You', and 'You Know I Couldn't Last'. Add to this the songs that have the word 'I' in the lyrics, 'America Is Not the World', 'Irish Blood, English Heart', 'Come Back to Camden', 'The World is Full of Crashing Bores' and 'Let Me Kiss You', and it shows just why I like this album so much. The fact that the two other tracks on the LP, 'First of the Gang to Die and All the Lazy Dykes', are two of Morrissey's greatest 'story' songs, really does make this the greatest album of all time..... for today, at least!

As I think of my favourite Morrissey songs off the top of my head, there are SO many of them that are 'I'/'Me' songs; 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', 'I've Change My Plea to Guilty', 'Trouble Loves Me', 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Sometime', '(I'm) The End of the Family Line', 'Now My Heart is Full', 'Dear God Please Help Me', 'You Have Killed Me', 'Something is Squeezing My Skull', 'I'm OK by Myself', 'I Started Something I Couldn't Finish', 'I Won't Share You', 'I Know It's Over', 'I Want the One I Can't Have', 'Well I Wonder'...... there are HUNDREDS of them! The question is, will 'World Peace is None of Your Business' have any 'I'/'Me' songs?


MALCOLM 'LITTLE MAN, WHAT NOW?' MCFEE


There are NO Morrissey records available for this year's Record Store Day, but there are two products available, a Morrissey tea towel, and a Morrissey/Marr Unhappy Birthday card!

Morrissey: Tea Towel
TEA TOWEL AVAILABLE FROM 10TH APRIL AT RECORDSTORE.CO.UK £9.99

The Smiths: Morrissey & Marr Birthday Card
A BIRTHDAY CARD FROM MORRISSEY & MARR £3.99

I really do have nothing else to write about today. With the Twit Arms so quiet, I have taken the opportunity to AT LAST started listening to the music of Patti Smith, and OH MY GOD, WHY have I never bothered listening to her before? WHAT A VOICE! WHAT A WRITER! Somebody really should shoot me, I have wasted SO much of my life listening to mainstream crap. I have today discovered a couple more Youtube videos of Patti Smith playing last week at the Grand Palias in Paris. It is particularly worth watching the video of 'William Blake', not only for the song, but to hear Patti speak about Blake, and she talks about the struggle of the artist, relating Blake's story to Robert Mapplethorpe. The other thing to note, is that Patti Smith's voice is still INCREDIBLY strong. I LOVE PATTI SMITHHHHHHHHHHH.









Patti Smith (1978).
PATTI BY ROBERT

And finally, Romina has posed a question, "Will Morrissey play Venice?" Well, perhaps those Alain Delon photos set Romina's mind wandering. There is STILL no news on UK/Europe concerts.... although Mum/Oscar Wilde's Mum has tweeted this:

Castlefield. If we must.

It looks as though the Castlefield concert in July could be happening after all!

And finally, finally, for no reason other than somebody posted it in The Arms......Jean:




*Goes off singing* Voice voices mesmerise, voices voices beckoning sea.

13 comments:

  1. I'd rather be discussing more interesting topics than kittens & penguins too! I'm bored stiff! The Twit Arms is like a ghost pub, & it's no fun dancing on the tables alone. Even tormenting Mr Rat has lost it's appeal.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s. Yes, you are an idiot for not discovering Patti Smith until now. I will gladly shoot you.x

      Delete
  2. 'I have been thinking about what sort of songs might be on the new LP'

    any that have ART or HOUNDS in the title;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Well, I am no expert on music, but I have to agree Pattie Smith (I taught my nephew to recite The Tiger when he was 5, yes I know, another genius) she is a good writer. I also agree Ratz with just about everything else you say in your Blog. Well, she would, wouldn't she!. PS You Are the Quarry is/was what his music is to me. The book made me swoon more though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy Clayton made the best of the Girls. Well some, like Jean S. Clever Rat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just noticed from the pic. Suit looks a bit Dutch Schultz. Still fit though. Moz I mean, not Dutch. Stay with it Willow, your loyalty to TBR is appreciated, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My excuse: Pub time is wrong for me on this side of the planet.

    I'm looking forward not just to the new album, but the new single B-sides, new interviews and of course new artwork and photos for us to divine references from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Rat, now that you have discovered Patti Smith, will Patty Smyth be next on your list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rats, thank goodness you've finally seen the light and decided to denounce mainstream crap. I do hope this means that Patti will be replacing G****e as the recipient of your devotion.

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive