Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Day 980 - The Tossing Returns (which is NOT the pub next door to The Twit Arms)

The sun is shining, and today I will be playing in my first cricket match of the season, so this will be another quicky.

AGENDA

1. Concert
2. Istanbul 
3. The Twitterdilly Arms

1. Concert
There is very little information filtering through from the Morrissey concert at Liberty Hall in Lawrence Kansas last night, although according to reports, Morrissey tossed his shirt into the crowd for the first time on this tour. Could it be that Morrissey responded to all the requests of the female members of the Blue Rose Society? Frink Moz has returned.

Morrissey allegedly opened the evening by saying, "You can do anything you want to me, but don't send me back to Lincoln Nebraska". This comment led that woman to tweet, "Sigh. Sad for the Moz fans there. Roman justice. One or two misinterpreted, probably well-intended, badly-timed shout-outs. Whole audience punished. Sad." Uncle Scummy would be proud of her, and would have been further impressed by another tweet which read, "After Lincoln, worried. People of Flint best get word-perfect on all songs and only shout out the words "I love you Moz". HOW do Morrissey fans manage to turn so bitter towards him? HOW? And WHY? 

It would appear that Lawrence received Lincoln's encore, as Morrissey opened the show with One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell. You have to smile. If the setlist from Setlist.Com is correct, it looks like I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday was dropped from the set yesterday, but there was a welcome return for National Front Disco, although as there is no Youtube footage of ANY song, I suppose it is irrelevant to me if it was played or not!

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Speedway
Ganglord
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Bullfighter Dies
Hand In Glove
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
Life Is A Pigsty
Trouble Loves Me
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Yes, I Am Blind
Meat Is Murder
The National Front Disco
Encore:
Asleep
First Of The Gang To Die

MORRISSEY IN LAWRENCE KANSAS



2. Istanbul
The new Istanbul single is now available for the whole world to buy, and despite having had NO promotion whatsoever, it is currently sitting at Number 63 in the UK I tunes chart. Morrissey hasn't yet played the song live, and hasn't even mentioned on TTY that it is available to download. I wrote last week that it would be interesting to see if Istanbul fairs better in the chart than WPINOYB, seeing as NOBODY has had the chance to download it for free, although I have noticed this morning that 'TheAmbitiousOutsider' has loaded the song onto Youtube, which means that a number of people will no doubt download it for free, thus effecting it's chart position. The music industry has got a long way to go to stop piracy.


Natalie Johns (@DigForFire) has responded to my question about the spoken word videos having a Twin Peaks feel. Here is her reply: "We wanted to do something different. It was Morrissey's idea to read his lyrics, I created the stories and mood around them. There was no mention of a twin peaks mood. I did however want a more surreal tome to the films. I like the reference though! I can't remember the name of the Burr track - it was in a collection of very old records I found with the gramophone."

3. The Twitterdilly Arms
I have run out of time. I shall have to write about yesterday's visit to The Arms by Fifi, Astraea and the new pessoa, '@TheRatsTalisman' tomorrow.

Embedded image permalink





Embedded image permalink
LOG LADY (IN HER YOUNGER DAYS) LISTENING TO THE JUKEBOX IN THE TWIT ARMS

19 comments:

  1. I've been hearing nothing but good things about last night's show, and I'm also thrilled at the return of the shirt toss!

    The Talisman did seem to appear out of nowhere. Hopefully he will return to the Arms soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job in publishing the link to the Istanbul video for everyone to see. I wouldn't have found it otherwise, it doesn't show up when I search youtube for Morrissey and sort by date, and I also can't find the video when browsing AmbitiousOutsider's channel. So, thanks mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am disappointed that there is no video footage from the concert last night, & no, not just because I want to see Morrissey's naked torso! I doubt very much any of us Blue Rose ladies had any influence on his decision to toss. And The Tossing Returns is a great name for a pub. I am very glad that the gig went well & a good time was had by all. Just wish the b****ers had videoed it!
    Istanbul is playing non-stop in my ear holes, & consequently being sung to the dog whilst out walking. Think he likes it. I'm just impatient for the album now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the song Istanbul with Morrissey's soaring vocals
    and the music which complements the lyrics so perfectly.

    LizzyCatMoz ( still unplugged )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow wow wow
      I love how it's sinister and uplifting - and both feelings
      hit you at once. can't wait to hear it live

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to say, Istanbul is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And since FTM is on Great Britain Time, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOZ!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Morrissey! I wish you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at the concert and he did make the comment about Nebraska. He also said that he had stayed in KC and that Sea Life (an aquarium) made him very sad and went on to ask how places like Sea Life and Sea World can do what they do. At one point right in the middle of a song (I can't for the life of me recall which), the lights dim and the music stops and he gave an acapella snippet of Unloveable ("I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside") and then the music and the current song returned. He said "I love you, I love you, I love you." then took off his shirt and threw it (I fortunately ended up getting a piece of it, and it smells AMAZING) and then he left. The reason that there's not a lot of photos or videos is because we were at no point allowed to have our phones out for any reason or staff had permission to confiscate them. Security was very strict and wouldn't even let me take my purse in and everyone had to get patted down upon entering. And staff and security were everywhere, and it seemed like there was a ton of them, especially given how tiny the venue was. At the very, very end, after Moz left the stage, Matt threw his drumsticks (one of which I got) and that was that. The energy outside after the concert was amazing and I think everyone was still in awe of him and I don't know about everyone else, but my head was still reeling by the time I got out of there. As I heard someone else say, Lincoln was the fight and Lawrence was the makeup sex. Morrissey delivered and put on an amazing show and I was glad to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nina, thank you for this excellent report.
      I was struck to hear about the 'Unloveable', that song has been stuck in my head for 2 days!

      Delete
    2. But wait,
      you got the piece of his shirt?!

      Delete
    3. Yes! I really wish I could describe what it smells like, but I can't. I waited until the next morning to creepily sniff it because last night it was all wet and I expected it to stink because, well, sweat, but it didn't.
      I also forgot to mention that last night a fan yelled, "MARRY ME, MORRISSEY" and he replied, "Why should I? I don't want to marry anybody."

      Delete
    4. Great post, thank you Nina! I hope we will get to hear Unloveable soon.

      Happy Birthday Morrissey.
      Hope its a special day for you.
      Love & light xx

      Delete
    5. Thank you, Nina for the concert report. So little information about it from fans who attended. Maybe it would have been 'Speedway' with the break in the middle of the song & the snippet of 'Unloveable'.It sounded like a memorable night. I'm still not sure why Moz fans yell out marriage proposals to him when he's stated many times in interviews & song that he'll never marry! I'd just invite him for a Babycham & a game of Scrabble.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear all the good news about the show! Happy birthday Morrissey!

    ReplyDelete

  10. After listening to Istanbul repeatedly for the past two days, I can say that it has firmly gripped my heart and cast me under its magical spell. I haven't been so captivated by a song in quite some time. The first time I played it in my car, the sound emanating from the speakers was so stupendously glorious that I was completely overcome with emotion and had to fight back tears to be able to drive. The poetic beauty and haunting darkness of the lyrics are perfectly conveyed by the sublimely inspired music. The juxtaposition of the breathtaking beauty of the melody and lush instrumentals with the ominous, pulsating sounds of the rhythm section is utterly intoxicating. The anguished cry of "What have I done?" stirs my soul every time. A song this impassioned and masterfully crafted most certainly deserves to rise to the top of the chart, and I can only imagine how enthralling it would be to hear in concert.

    I hope Morrissey's birthday is a very happy one. He has certainly given us a most special gift with this song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's quite a good song.

      Delete
  11. Many Happy Returns Moz !
    I wish you a wonderful and special birthday.

    Lots of love, Lizzy xx
    ( LizzyCatMoz )

    ReplyDelete
  12. And what a lovely birthday gift, even though the bulls lives were ended afterwards. :(
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27507414

    ML

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive