Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Morrissey interview with ionline.pt

Morrissey has given an interview to the Portugese website, ionline.pt ahead of his concert in Lisbon on Monday. I have attempted to translate the interview, but some of it doesn't look quite right, so if anybody would like to leave comments below with any amendments, I will happily make changes.
Here is the interview with a pre-amble from the interviewer:

Morrissey tells us that no tour is "just one more tour" and next week in Lisbon he begins another tour in Europe.
No one is yet sure which man will even go onstage at the Opera House on 6 October (next Monday), but it is also this constant surprise that makes the phenomenon, Morrissey.
Morrissey made his solo debut in 1988 with the album, "Viva Hate", and surprised all the skeptics who did not believe in the future of the singer after the end of the Smiths. Morrissey subsequently made albums and songs which have turned into classics. Morrissey only gives interviews by mail, and accepts no questions about the Smiths. He has an attitude that makes an ordinary mortal a pop star.
Lisbon starts another European tour, and the opportunity to present the songs of the recently released "World Peace Is None of Your Business". Were all of our questions answered? Of course not. But it could only be so.

Interviewer: You are just about to start a new tour. Do tours continue to be a cause of anxiety and nervousness or is it just another tour?

Morrissey: Anxiety, anxiety always. Never, never, never comes "just another tour." I've never experienced anything like "just another tour." It is actually harder preparing a tour than being on it.

Interviewer: And what will the concert be like?

Morrissey: It has to be seen for anyone to believe. And even after it is still hard to believe. The studio continues to be a better place for me, but it very rarely happens. The concerts have the ability to generate events that go far beyond the power that words have to describe something. Anyway, nothing exists without melodrama ... it seems to me.

Interviewer: The concerts always end up functioning as a kind of celebration, including stage invasions. How do you deal with this kind of worship? Is it a privilege a curse?

Morrissey: It is difficult for me because my life off stage is much quieter and even boring. I do nothing and see no one. Hence, the stage becomes an experience which is sometimes a shock to me, but I cannot turn away from what I do. It's confusing to find a balance between these two different lives that I have.

Interviewer: And it can even make strange contours: there's a guy in Brooklyn who performs tribute concerts and uses the name Ronnissey. Ever heard of him?

Morrissey: There are many people doing incredible things. The cult of Morrissey tattoos is phenomenal. The number of tribute bands that there are is phenomenal. The home videos with my music that appear on YouTube are phenomenal. It's all more important and exciting than most of the great artists, it seems to me. It is something unique and makes me very proud. And nothing in the top 40 is unique, it's all just marketing. The people behind the voices are immaterial and replaceable.

Interviewer: Do you feel any obligation to choose certain songs to balance a concert or do you sing whatever you feel like?

Morrissey: I never felt compelled to sing anything. People complain about it sometimes, but I think they like to complain. Anyway, my catalog is quite rich, so I like to sing everything.

Interviewer: Do you have any habits before the concerts?

Morrissey: Clasp me three hours before the concert starts. (?) I do not eat anything in the afternoon and I refuse to see anyone because I do not want to hear bad news; nothing that could destabilize me. Going on stage and controlling everything that happens is very demanding. It makes no sense to be with people that can distract me from what's really important.

Interviewer: Despite all the interest that has always been generated around your music or personal life, you have always managed to keep private what is private. With the autobiography [published last year] that all changed, right? Or not really?

Morrissey: No, I do not think that autobiography has changed anything whatsoever. I have not done a single interview to promote the book, was not seen on television or heard on the radio. The book has been out almost a year and continues to sell very well, but there was never any promotion, which is remarkable. Some journalists and critics made reference to my friendship with Jake [Walters, who he writes about in "Autobiography"], saying that it was a gay relationship, but what we had was an intense closeness. I do not think of it is as homosexual and he is of the same opinion. The world can not cope with the closeness between men, but easily accepted that they kill each other.

Interviewer: Why did you decide to write the book?

Morrissey: Because many things have been said about me repeatedly and thus become part of my life. The only way to balance the lies with the truth is to write them by hand.

Interviewer: News with the name "Morrissey" in the title are common, such as those given recently regarding the ending of the contract with the Harvest label. At the same time the autobiography states that many of these stories do not tell the truth ...

Morrissey: Many false stories are written about me, because I do not work with any public relations firm. Hence a lot of people say and write things without any consequence. I try not to get involved in these issues. Yes, it is true that Harvest Records did not do any work for me for three weeks after my new album have been released. The chief editor, Steve Barnett, is someone with whom you always have to agree with at all times. I did not agree with him at some point, so he stopped wanting to work with me. It was a damn nice thing to do, but he took it forward because the people who work in publishing are afraid of him. It's the music business, you understand ...

Interviewer: Have you ever thought "maybe I should not say it?"

Morrissey: There are things left unsaid, but are not important.

Interviewer: When you read your book from beginning to end, after you read it, what were your thoughts?

Morrissey: I loved it. Especially because it has no chapters, which allows for continuous reading. People who criticize the book are the same who criticize anything I do. They never fail when it comes to saying exactly the same thing day after day.

Interviewer: There is a campaign to reissue all of your early albums. Has this got something to do with nostalgia? Or is it a kind of review of your career?

Morrissey: People like the records, this is it, and it is difficult to express my pride. There are a total of eight albums in new versions. I am very happy because they all went into the charts, although they have not occupied high positions. They are discs with attitude; they are timeless, and represent plateaus in some nice guys (???). Most artists do not make intellectual demands. They must have very boring lives.

THE COLISEUM IN LISBON - TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE (GO ON, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!)

Understanding MorrisseysWorld: http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/day-1109-morrisseysworld-not-for-faint.html

The BlueRoseSociety Explained: http://bluerosesociety.blogspot.co.uk

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted to go to Lisbon....
    Really, really, really tempted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice translation, Rats - it's wonderful to have another interview. Erica on twitter, who originally spotted the interview, says that "clasp me three hours before the concert starts" means that he shuts himself off from the world three hours before concerts start. I hope we'll have the pleasure of seeing more interviews on this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the translation. Just quickly as I am at work- I remember in Genoa Moz was in his dressing room hours before the show, this makes sense now.
    Another thing which struck me was Morrissey describing feelings of anxiety before a tour, I can only imagine the pressure he feels.

    The presence of Astra will be missed. Hope she will return soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My belated thanks for the translation Mr. Rat sir. I thoroughly enjoy reading everything Morrissey has to say. I am always rapt with attention and usually amazement.

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive