Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Day 1365 - Eleven Minutes

Well, I am back again, but only because I have a reason to return.

I reported in the comments section of my last blog entry that I had been in conversation with Fifi, who had informed me that she was bored of the Twitterdilly Arms. I presumed from this that she was about to take her leave, and as Our Mozzer, Broken, Astra et al have all disappeared, then there would be no need for FTM to carry on. Luckily, Fifi hasn't yet gone, and she popped into The Arms yesterday to respond to Manc lad's request that she join in a game of togger (Northern speak for football - they are a funny lot up North!). Fifi's response was a simple, "I'm in", although what a delicate French filly is doing agreeing to play footy, I really don't know!



Anyway, I have not returned here today to report that Fifi fancies a cyber kick about with a lush Mancunian, I am here because I have just realised that Fifi's twitter bio is a clue to the influence of one of Morrissey's songs. Here is Fifi's bio:

My life is opera. "I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It's all a question of how I view my life."

One of the lyrics in the Morrissey song, Neal Cassady Drops Dead is, "victim, or life's adventurer, which of the two are you?", so the quote posted by Fifi MUST have been an influence to that lyric, and this is Morrissey's way of bringing it to our attention.

As my regular twelve readers know, I am not very well-read - with The Beano being my staple diet of fiction - therefore Fifi's quote meant nothing to me whatsoever, so I googled it. It transpires that the quote is from a book called Eleven Minutes by a Brazilian author named, Paulo Coelho, who, I am embarrassed to admit, I had never heard of, even though it transpires that he is the best selling Portuguese language author of all time, selling over 190 million books worldwide, including a very famous book called The Alchemist, which I have also never heard of! I really do wonder if i have lived under a rock for the past 49 and a half years.

Anyway, although I haven't read Eleven Minutes (which I now intend to listen to as an audio book), it would appear from what I have read about it, and about Coelho, that both the book and the author are right up Morrissey's street, and I now want to find out more. The book is about a prostitute named Maria, which instantly made me think of the MorrisseysWorld short story, Brazil, which interestingly featured a character named Paulo. Jigsaw, jigsaw, jigsaw.

There are some other great quotes in Eleven Minutes, but I will now leave my readers to make their own discoveries - please feel free to share in the comments section. There is NO mention of Paulo Coelho in Mozipedia. Exciting times once again - thanks to Fifi.

PAULO COELHO

20 comments:

  1. Good get, Rats. Like Cat's Cradle, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because this quote from Neal Cassady is my absolute favorite from the entire album, I'm very grateful to Fifi for revealing the source of its inspiration. Very excited that we're getting new interviews to read (loved the one that's out today) and the US tour is delightfully near!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cant believe when I heard Paulo I too thought of the story, what a fantastic ride

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might remember broken's old twitter id had a gay Brazilian admirer... who loved Coelho... and original broken followed him...jigsaw...unprovable...genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I DO remember. Was it Andreas or Sandro or something similar? I also remember that Broken tweeted him again fairly recently.

      Delete
    2. Ananda? Are you on twitter then Con/Jon?

      Delete
    3. My guess is that Monsieur Con has as many Twitter accounts as Monsieur Luke...

      Delete
    4. @AnandaStrange was the Twitter user. Not sure that the account is in the same hands now though.

      Delete
  5. Victim, or life's adventurer is a question we should all ask ourselves. Thanks to Fifi for bringing the source to our attention. Through this journey, our lovely French filly has been a wise, prescient presence. She also has been known to imbibe in the occasional potent potable and an impromptu shimmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Neal Cassady so any reference to that song is welcome. Kudos to Fifi for spotting that quote. I did read ‘The Alchemist’ many years ago – cannot recall a thing about the book – but a quick google shows that the ‘victim or life’s adventurer’ makes an appearance in The Alchemist in an early form. "He realized that he had to choose between thinking of himself as the poor victim of a thief and as an adventurer in quest of his treasure”.
    Looking forward to Rats musings on this after he has read the audiobook. Might want to add ‘The Alchemist’ to your list as well !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad too see your post and the Neal Cassady reference. It is always fun learning of new connections. I am hoping the concerts in the states bring some excitement as fans post the details and tell of their experiences. I know I don't post on here as much as I should, but I still keep tabs on your site. Part of the problem has been my internet company, I now have a new one, and I have had to get acclimated to it. I hate to say it, but at my age I am not as quick as I once was. It does not help my esteem that I have had to ask the kids for assist at times. Also, my health has not been that well. I will have to admit that I learned quite a bit following MW and FTM. There is a new TV show 'Wayward Pines' that has been compared to 'Twin Peaks' and that David Lynch now has his own brand of coffee. And as I was working on this post the TV show playing in background was about the holy bloodline and mentioned some of the 'Priory of Sion's' grand masters: Do Vinci, Newton and Cocteau. If not for FTM I would not know as much as I do now of either Lynch or Cocteau. They even showed a close up of the Cocteau mural that was discussed on your site and pointed out that it is never shown who is on cross, that a figure that resembles Christ is weeping from an eye that looks like a fish and Cocteau's face is among the figures. Talk about synchronicity! I did read Moz's recent comments about how Obama is white on the inside, but as he is half white and raised by his white family members, it would not be too surprising. Hope all are having a good summer. Here we had 90F, sunny weather yesterday, now we are in the 60F with thunderstorms, with rain expected the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Fancy, and thanks for the weather updates in.... where ever it is you live!

      Delete
  8. got to laugh, as over on twitter, dickie felton has just realised that a moz phrase was by Klaus Nomi.. "remember me, but forget my fate" oh do keep up dickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But did Dickie, or any of the other naysayers notice Morrissey's nod to his own pessoa, Mademoiselle Fifi, in New Orleans when he opened with, "Monsieur, Madame, Mademoiselle"? Father Brian, Heather, Chuck (as the annoying mechanical orange) and Marcus the Greek all noticed it, but that's because they have love in their hearts and the ability to see what's right in front of their eyes. The likes of Hoarsly Cry, Mad Alix and Nasty Nicole have all taken to Twitter to once again rubbish it all, but that's because they have NEVER worn the blue rose, so how could they possibly understand? Certain people will NEVER believe, mainly because they don't WANT to believe - they are sleeping.

      An exciting start to the tour - and from what I've seen so far on YouTube, a wonderful perfor, er, show in New Orleans.

      Viva BRS

      Delete
    2. me too I watched the clip posted by orange and heather and realised straight away

      Delete
  9. As Nicki French once said, "Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart."

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reminds me of "its a heartbreak, nothing but a" oops apols to bonnie tyler there

      Delete
    2. just to be clear, I do know it is a heartache honest m'lud

      Delete
    3. Our Mozzer has returned to FTM HQ - I feel dizzy with excitement, although to hear that you are falling apart isn't good.... but less about you, and more about poor Nicki French - whatever happened to Carlisle's finest? There she was, taking the world by storm, and then a string of record labels let her down and she disappears from the face of the earth! Oh, the similarities with a certain Mancunian poet - two peas in a pod. Perhaps M could do for Nicki what he did for the Dolls & Jobriath. That's a point, best make sure Nicki is still alive before booking her to open any shows!

      Delete
    4. A delightful surprise to see OM back in the building (at least for a fleeting moment), but who is he implying is falling apart? Himself or the BRS - or both?

      Delete

Mozziah Archive