Total Pageviews

Monday, 21 March 2016

Day 1650 - #MozBoz25





In early March 1991, Morrissey released his second solo studio album, Kill Uncle, and decided that after a break of four years, he was at last ready to return to touring. Morrissey put together a band consisting of rockabillies: Alain Whyte, Gary Day, Spencer Cobrin, and twenty eight year old Martin 'Boz' Boorer, and the band set about learning and rehearsing songs from Kill Uncle, along with other Morrissey compositions from the previous three years, and a few cover songs. In late April, the band hit the road.


TH' LADS AND MORRISSEY - DUNDEE MAY 1991

Fast forward twenty five years, and following the recording of eight studio albums, many singles, numerous television shows and 932 concerts, the only constant for Morrissey amongst numerous changes to band and entourage personnel, has been.... Boz!




Boz Boorer

Along the way, there have been many ups and downs, but through thick and thin, Boz has remained by Morrissey's side, whether it be in novelty t-shirts, kilts, dresses, with broken bones, or just a seven incher to protect his modesty.
















Over the past twenty five years, Boz has written the music for countless numbers of songs, 42 of which Morrissey has put words to, and we the public have gotten to hear - there may of course be more which we haven't yet heard. Choosing a favourite among those 42 is near on impossible, but as a celebration of #MozBoz25, I have decided to invite my readers (whether BRS members or not) to vote for their 10 favourites;  giving 1 pt to the 10th favourite, 2 for 9th, 3 for 8th, 4 for 7th, 5 for 6th, 6 for 5th, 7 for 4th, 8 points for 3rd favourite, and then in true Eurovision tradition, 10 points for 2nd favourite and douze point (12) for 1st. I appreciate that favourites change all the time, but voting should be based on how you feel about each song right here, right now.

I shall start the ball rolling, and will update the leader board as others vote. The frustration and guilt I feel by leaving certain songs out of my Top 10 is rather pathetic, but I expect all other voters to feel exactly the same way. So here goes: I award 1 point to Staircase At The University, 2 for Come Back To Camden, 3 for Black Cloud, 4 for Jack The Ripper, 5 points go to Speedway, 6 for Maladjusted, 7 for Oboe Concerto, 8 points for I Like You, 10 points to Now My Heart Is Full and my maximum 12 goes to The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores.

LEADER BOARD:

1. NOW MY HEART IS FULL 117

2. SPEEDWAY 110

3. MALADJUSTED 84

4. THE WORLD IS FULL OF CRASHING BORES 69

5. JACK THE RIPPER 67

6. COME BACK TO CAMDEN 65



7. ISTANBUL  63

8. STAIRCASE AT THE UNIVERSITY 56

9. OBOE CONCERTO 51

10. THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME, THE CLOSER I GET 49

11. I LIKE YOU 33



12. SCANDINAVIA 30

12. I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS 30

14. I'M NOT SORRY 27

14. ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME 27



16. ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL 25

16. BLACK CLOUD 25

18. ART-HOUNDS 24

19. WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS 18

19. LIFEGUARD SLEEPING, GIRL DROWNING 18

19. SPRING-HEELED JIM 18


22. I CAN HAVE BOTH 15

23. THE TEACHERS ARE AFRAID OF THE PUPILS 14

24. SATAN REJECTED MY SOUL 12


25. MOUNTJOY 9

26. DRAG THE RIVER 8

26. READER MEET AUTHOR 8



28. YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO ME 7

28. HONEY, YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME 7


28. I'D LOVE TO 7



31. THE PUBLIC IMAGE 6

31. THAT'S HOW PEOPLE GROW UP 6

31. CHRISTIAN DIOR 6

34. JULIE IN THE WEEDS 5

35. AMMUNITION 4

36. MEXICO 1

37. I'M PLAYING EASY TO GET 0

37. THE KID'S A LOOKER 0

37. THE SLUM MUMS 0

37. NOISE IS THE BEST REVENGE 0

37. KIT (Moz singing)  KIT (Boz singing) 0

37. YOU'VE HAD HER 0

I thank you in advance for taking part, and look forward to your votes.


BOZ PERFORMING THE MORRISSEY/BOORER COMPOSITION, COME BACK TO CAMDEN WITH THE MARIA FIDELIS GOSPEL CHOIR AT THE SWEARING IN CEREMONY FOR CAMDEN MAYOR, JONATHAN SIMPSON IN 2013


36 comments:

  1. Here are my top 10

    10) Black Cloud
    9) I can have both
    8) Jack the Ripper
    7) honey you know where to find me
    6) I like you
    5) Action is my middle name
    4) Satan Rejected my soul
    3) Staircase at the University
    2) Speedway
    1)Maladjusted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Rat, well deserved tribute to our Bozzer:

    Here is the vote of the Loughton jury

    12 - Now my heart is full
    10 - Art hyphen Hounds
    8 - The more you ignore me
    7 - The world is full of crashing bores
    6 - Staircase at the University
    5 - One day goodbye will be farewell
    4 - Spring-heeled Jim
    3 - I Like you
    2 - Speedway
    1 - Istanbul

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we're celebrating the Bozziah, I give my points entirely based on the music, not the lyrics:

    12: Istanbul
    10: Jack The Ripper
    8: Speedway
    7: Scandinavia
    6: Now My Heart Is Full
    5: Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
    4: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
    3: Black Cloud
    2: Spring-Heeled Jim
    1: Reader Meet Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here are the points from Finland dear Europe:
    1 p. You should have been nice to me
    2 p. Satan rejected my soul
    3 p. The more you ignore me the closer I get
    4 p. Come back to Camden (I will)
    5 p. I'm throwing my arms around Paris
    6 p. I like you
    7 p. Staircase at the University
    8 p. I'm not sorry
    10 p. Speedway

    and twelve points go to....
    12 p. Now my heart is full

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, not the Eurovision system again!
    Anayway I think I got it this time:

    Reader meet author 1
    Teachers afraid of pupils 2
    Satan rejected my soul 3
    Black cloud 4
    Julie in the weeds 5
    Drag the river 6
    Speedway 7
    Come back to Camden 8
    Maladjusted 10
    Spring heeled Jim 12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LIKED that Eurovision system! The awkwardness of the 50+ minutes voting procedure was always the best part in the past. "Hello from Latvia, our douze points go to..." *connection collapses*

      Delete
    2. It's just a European thing that I will never understand, the songs aren't that great imo unless i was suffering from shellshock along with the rest of Europe. Whatever happened to the conchita lady? that was your favorite wasn't it Chuck?  Lol

      Delete
    3. I was mostly impressed by her appearance and her utterly hilarious surname. As for the song - the power of hook after hook after hook! It illustrates perfectly the difference between a catchy radio tune and a really good and timeless song. After listening to it 20 times I got so tired of it that I never NEVER want to hear it again.

      Delete
    4. The latest winner from Sweden with the Heros song was cute but he and his song were just too desperate to be appealing. Wurst lol

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. 12 Crashing Bores
    11 Speedway
    10 Camden
    9 Now my heart is full
    8 Action is my middle name
    7 One day goodbye will be farewell
    6 You should have been nice to me
    5 Stairway at the University
    4 Istanbul
    3 I like you
    2 The more you ignore me
    1 Honey you know where to find me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ratty, it's very difficoult, but I try, I must try!
    1 The Public Image
    2 I can have both
    3 Teachers are afraid to pupils
    4 Jack the Ripper
    5 Black Cloud
    6 The more you ignore me
    7 Come back to Camden
    8 Now my heart is full
    9 Speedway
    10 Staircase at University
    Wow, it was more difficult than a phisic exam! Have a nice evening you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you meant 10 points for Speedway and 12 for Staircase. Surely you watch the Eurrovisseon Sing Conteest?

      Delete
    2. You're right, or better I mean 10 points for Staircase, 9 for Speedway and so goes on, but I just realized I did'n mention Maladjusted, I'm a mess, sorry!

      Delete
    3. No, no... it's 12 points for Stair... oh, never mind.

      Delete
  8. Congrats to Moz & Boz for 25 and hopefully 25 more!

    12 - Oboe Concerto
    10 - Maladjusted
    8 - Istanbul
    7 - The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
    6 - One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
    5 - Reader Meet Author
    4 - Mountjoy
    3 - The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
    2 - I Can Have Both
    1 - Scandinavia

    ReplyDelete
  9. In no particular order

    I'm Not Sorry
    Speedway
    Scandi
    Maladjusted
    I Like You
    Action
    Istanbul
    Crashing Bores
    Ignore Me
    Oboe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...only kidding, douze point for 'I'm Not Sorry', working down to one for Oboe.

      Delete
  10. 12- Jack The Ripper
    10- Maladjusted
    8- Istanbul
    7- Scandinavia
    6- The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
    5- Speedway
    4- The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
    3- The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
    2- I Like You
    1- I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eternal thanks to Boz (and Moz of course) for such a spectacular list of songs. After much anguish and deliberation, here's my list:
    12-Now My Heart
    10-Speedway
    8-Istanbul
    7-Camden
    6-Staircase
    5-Ignore Me
    4-Paris
    3-Art-hounds
    2-Drag the River
    1-I'd Love To

    ReplyDelete
  12. @dotdotdot__dot: @TheRatsBack would you post it for me please:
    12-jack the ripper
    10-oboe concerto
    8-world peace is none of your business
    7-scandinavia
    6-I´d love to
    5-The public image
    4-i´m not sorry
    3-the world is full of crashing bores
    2-maladjusted
    1-christian dior

    ReplyDelete
  13. My voting makes absolutely no sense,but here goes:

    12) Now my heart is full
    10) Jack the ripper
    8) Istanbul
    7) I can have both
    6) Maladjusted
    5) Mountjoy
    4) Oboe concerto
    3) Speedway
    2) Honey you know where to find me
    1) I'm throwing my arms around Paris

    ReplyDelete
  14. is it ok if I post later today as really busy just now

    ReplyDelete
  15. 12 - The World is Full of Crashing Bores (and I am not one... I really am not... but I am surrounded by them... present company excepted etc)
    10 - Speedway
    8 - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
    7 - Now My Heart is Full
    6 - Staircase at the University
    5 - Come Back to Camden
    4 - The More You Ignore me the Closer I get
    3 - Maladjusted
    2 - Istanbul
    1 - One Day will be Farewell

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh well here goes, better late than never, my ten pointer in the list may surprise everyone but it is because of who the lyrics are aimed at more than anything.. ok the Manginchester votes are as follows
    12 - Come Back to Camden
    10 - World Peace is None of Your Beeswax
    08 - Action is my Middle Name
    07 - The More You Ignore Me
    06 - One Day Goodbye will be Farewell
    05 - Oboe Concerto
    04 - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
    03 - The More You Ignore Me
    02 - Black Cloud
    01 - Speedway
    and that concludes the vote for Manginchester (you can tell I've NEVER seen the Eurovision)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have given The More You Ignore Me both 7 points and 3 points!

      Delete
    2. it was never going to right with me was it, some may say I have done it on purpose but no... can you switch no. 3 to.. I'm not sorry

      Delete
  17. Fuck. I should have given soenthing to That's How People Grow Up and World Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what could you possibly have left out? We all share your pain.

      Delete
    2. me too Marcus, I love it but it went clean out of my little mind

      Delete
  18. Thanks for keeping the polls open Rats. After I think I've got my dyslexic head around the scoring system, my song choices & scores keep changing. But here goes...

    12. Maladjusted
    10. Now My Heart Is Full
    8. Come Back To Camden
    7. Lifeguard Sleeping Girl Drowning
    6. That's How People Grow Up
    5. Staircase
    4. Ammunition
    3. Art-Hounds
    2. Oboe
    1. Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. Camden
    2. Throwing my arms Around Paris
    3. Speedway
    4. Istanbul
    5. Sing your life
    6. Wide to Receive
    7. Maladjusted
    8. Black Cloud
    9. The more you Ignore me
    10. Oboe
    11. There is a Light
    12. My Heart is Full

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Adopts the voice of Ricky Gervais playing Andy Millman, playing Ray Stokes in When The Whistle Blows* "Are you 'avin' a laff? Is she 'avin' a laff?"

      As you have chosen 12 songs instead of 10; 3 of which were NOT written by Boz Boorer, I will amend your scores as follows: 12 for Heart, 10 for Oboe, 8 for Ignore, 7 for Cloud, 6 for Mal, 5 for Istanbul. 4 for Speedway, 3 for Paris and 2 for Camden. Do feel free to add another song for your 1 point - preferably one from the list that is written by Boz!
      *Goes off singing* And if a double decker bus, crashes into us

      Delete
    2. Now my Heart is Full. Sorry, I just started writing my favorite songs

      Delete
  20. As always, I am ill prepared for such difficult tasks as choosing favorites from so many amazing and magical songs, but here goes Nothing:

    10. Reader Meet Author
    9. I Can Have Both
    8. Istanbul
    7. Speedway
    6. Christian Dior
    5. Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
    4. Now My Heart Is Full
    3. Art-Hounds
    2. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
    1. Jack The Ripper

    And one for good luck...The More You Ignore Me...

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive