Total Pageviews

Thursday, 29 June 2017

Day 2214 - Miss Patti Smith - an apology


Image result for PATTI SMITH MORRISSEY


Dear Miss Smith, you will never read this, but it is only right and proper that I publicly apologise for having criticised a section of the lyrics in your song, Pissing in a River. For me, a mere hairy-backed blogger to call your lyrics, "primary school", is quite unacceptable and rather laughable; after all, what do I know of song writing?
I also apologise for being a philistine for not recognising where the said lyrics came from when they were tweeted by one of your fans, a Mr S Morrissey of Manchester.... or LA or Switzerland or ?

I must confess that I don't own any of your LP records, just as I don't own any LPs by a number of other artists who influenced Morrissey in the 1970s, such as Iggy Pop and the New York Dolls. I was too young to buy the LPs when they were released, and I have just never gotten around to really listening to them in any great depth - I guess the truth is, I just never felt that they were mine. Does that make sense? The songs that spoke to me as an eighteen year old were by the Smiths, who are mine, and forever will be.

Anyway, I really shouldn't be so quick to pass comment on something that I know nothing about - I can be a bit of a gobshite at times, although actually, this is part of my charm.

I shall sign off by playing a Youtube clip of Morrissey singing an A cappella snippet from Pissing in a River - the same lyrics in fact that he tweeted the other day.

I won't pretend that I now intend to go and listen to Radio Ethiopia on repeat, but I do appreciate that you helped shape the songwriting of Morrissey, and for that, I shall be forever in your debt.

Yours sincerely and apologetically

Rat







 PISSING IN A RIVER AT 9MINS 04SECS
Image result for PATTI SMITH MORRISSEY

1 comment:

  1. oh whiskers surely the old phrase "foot and mouth" springs to mind, I can remember when I was a kid all the farms had this strange white powder on the floor where we the public had access

    ReplyDelete

Mozziah Archive