I say this with great confidence, Low In High School IS your masterpiece, and I for one feel privileged to own a copy....or four.
Yours in fawning eternal gratitude.
Ps Could you please reply to an email I sent you about 4000 weeks ago. A one word reply will suffice. Gracias.
Low In High School is at Number 2 in the Official UK midweek chart - Paloma Faith's The Architect is currently at Number 1. I still maintain that any placement in the the Top 10 come Friday will be an incredible achievement, but a Top 5 placing now looks highly likely; although this time last week, Shed Seven were at Number 3 in the midweek chart, and entered the chart at 8 on Friday, so things do change.
It should be noted, The Shed's album is also extremely good, but not good enough to be mentioned in the same paragraph as a Morrissey album, so I have had to start a new paragraph! I am very much looking forward to seeing Shed Seven in three weeks time.
TOP TRACKS: ROOM IN MY HOUSE, IT'S NOT EASY AND BETTER DAYS
I really can't remember being so instantly gripped by an album as I am by Low In High School. I seem to be finding myself mainly playing the five songs that haven't yet been sung live, i.e. Israel, In Your Lap, I Bury The Living, Who Will Protect Us From The Police and The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel. These five songs also happen to be my current five favourites, and probably in the order that I have just written them....although that will have changed by tea time.
I BURY THE LIVING - THE ONLY TRACK IN THE 7" BOX SET TO PLAY AT 33 1/3 RPM
Whilst the fools spend their time bitching and moaning on social media about Morrissey having the audacity to title a song Israel, I continue to spend my time actually listening to it; which incidentally, none of the bitching moaners have done. To be honest, Moz could be singing the phone book for all I care, it is the power of the vocal and the beauty of Gustavo's piano that are gripping me - WHAT a song. WHAT a voice. WHAT a piano player.
With every play of the album, different lyrics and riffs are picked-up on. In I Bury The Living there is a great line which says so much about many, many things. It is sung from the perspective of someone in the military: "From a class without, I haven't a clue what the war is about, I haven't got a clue." Who could think to write, "a class without", it is genius, and the lyric about fighting in a war that our soldier knows nothing about once again re-iterates how little some people value their own life - they are prepared to go and fight in wars, and put themselves in the firing line, when they really have no idea what it is they are fighting for. What sort of fool would do that? How did this person get programmed to give up their life for nothing whatsoever? I can get my head around why some people might decide to take up arms if they or their immediate family were under genuine threat of being killed, but why else would anyone do it?
Again, Morrissey is being attacked for, "mocking the military", but it isn't mocking, what he is actually saying is wake up and smell the coffee. Let your life mean more than this. Don't let the ending of your life be someone else's choice/command.
Away from Low In High School, there has been no sign of Our Mozzer in The Wrong Arms, so I have nothing to report on that front.
Concert wise, since my last blog entry there have been concerts in Salt Lake City on Saturday night, and another in Denver last night. The concert in SLC saw BRS Vice President, Angie, take a blue rose, but unfortunately she couldn't get to the very front, so she didn't get the chance to offer it to Moz. The rose ended up being tossed onto the stage just after Chain Gang. Very little footage has emerged on Youtube of the concert, although there is a clip of How Soon is Now which shows Angie's rose being held aloft.
The Denver concert only finished a few hours ago, so I don't have much information on it yet, other than: Moz shook hands with a dog, signed a copy of LIHS for someone mid-gig, danced and sang with an adorable little boy on stage during EDILS, danced & sang with a girl during Trumpshifters, and sang Hold on to Your Friends for the first time in twenty years....sounds like your average Monday night out! It is purely a coincidence that my previous two blog entries BOTH had the word 'friend' in the title. Nothing to see here.
PHOTO COURTESY OF JAY JOANNIDES TWITTER FEED. JAY TWEETED, "I'VE SEEN A LOT OF THINGS HAPPEN AT A MORRISSEY SHOW, BUT A DOG BEING PASSED FORWARD FOR A HAND SHAKE TONIGHT IS DEFINITELY A FIRST!" - MOZ LOOKS THRILLED
There is a fair amount of footage from last week's Pheonix concert, so when I haven't been listening to Low In High School, I have been watching that....I should also point out that over the past few days I have also been to watch Pompey play, have played two games of indoor cricket, have walked about five miles, and have carried out my job. I don't really know how I do it all.
Just before singing World Peace in Phoenix, Morrissey addressed the audience saying, "Predicament Trump has lifted the ban on ivory goods into the US, so that his two sons could continue to kill, kill, kill defenceless animals. Idiot, idiot, IDIOT. Is there no end, is there no end, is there no end, is there no end to Predicament Trump?"
DONALD TRUMP JUNIOR
There are now only eight Morrissey shows remaining in 2017, and no one has yet managed to get a blue rose to Morrissey this year. Could this be the first time in five years that we have failed to get a rose to Moz? Heather will attempt it tomorrow in St Louis. If ever there was anyone who deserved to have their rose accepted by Moz, it is Heather. I have a feeling in my waters that there just might be something special happen at this show.
And finally, in my last blog entry I made mentioned of a new Moz interview with Juliane Liebert for an online German magazine. It was the first face to face interview that Morrissey had given since the Larry King one two years ago. I won't bother going into too much detail here because most of it has now been splashed across the internet. All rather predictably, the extreme left-wing media have looked for sensationalism where there was nothing other than perspective and balanced views. Liebert herself seems to have gone looking for sensationalism, and it really is no wonder that Morrissey doesn't give face to face interviews. He dipped his toe back in the water for Juliane, but the journalistic waters remain polluted.
JULIANE LIEBERT - ONE OF THE PRIVILEGED FEW TO GET A FACE TO FACE INTERVIEW WITH MORRISSEY, BUT DID SHE SENSATIONALISE?
Luckily there are still those who can see through the anti-Moz agenda of the left-wing press, although some also make the mistake of presuming Morrissey's dislike for the extreme left means he is right-wing. MORRISSEY DOESN'T HAVE WINGS! Brendan O'Niell, writing for The Spectator following the interview with Liebert , is able to see through the ridiculous left-wing extreme headlines, but he then makes the mistake of thinking Morrissey is completely pro-Brexit, and that Jacky's Only Happy is a song about Brexit. What is wrong with these people? Morrissey didn't vote in the EU referendum, and so therefore by definition, is NOT a Brexiteer. Morrissey told Liebert, "The outcome of the Brexit referendum fascinated me because it was a victory for democracy. The people said yes when Westminster, the political elite and the establishment said no. The public ignored the media and decided for themselves, that's why Brexit is important. It has been the greatest democratic victory in British history for many, many years. Whether or not Brexit is good is another matter."
There is no doubting that Moz is anti the EU, and why wouldn't any Brit not be - the EU is a horrible elite organisation that Britain has very little say in. Morrissey is also against uncontrolled mass immigration, which again, is a perfectly balanced stance to take, not that the loony left will even allow you to mention the subject without accusing you of being racist - they have no idea what racism even means. Being anti-EU and anti-multiculturalisation on a mass scale doesn't mean that Morrissey is in favour of how Theresa Mayday is handling an exit - none of us Brits are. It is a shambles, but at least it'll be our shambles, and Mayday will pay the ultimate price for her ineptitude.
Another of those not taken in by shock headlines and media outlets with an anti-Morrissey agenda is Shed Seven's drummer, Alan Leach, who yesterday tweeted, "Morrissey's instinct to go against the grain of any mass media hysteria has landed him in hot water before. But it doesn't stop him doing it and thats what I like about the guy." Here, here.
ALAN '@ALANSHED' LEACH
And finally, finally, the new Moz album has resulted in some fan-made videos appearing on Youtube. BMG seem a little harder on copyright infringement than Harvest ever were, so they may get taken down, but I have included them in this week's chart. The chart takes the same format as last week, i.e. the most viewed Morrissey related postings on Youtube from the past seven days. It is no longer a Wrong Arms Chart, this is the Official Youtube Chart.
OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CHART:
1. I BURY THE LIVING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7V8Rs_ywec
2. HOME IS A QUESTION MARK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUB_ObOalA&t=164s
3. WHO WILL PROTECT US FROM THE POLICE? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvDRtyoqHNw
4. ISRAEL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKjotJEWjo
5. MY LOVE, I'D DO ANYTHING FOR YOU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z13FURjttI
6. THE GIRL FROM TEL-AVIV WHO WOULDN'T KNEEL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFYHwZRcAKM
7. ALL THE YOUNG PEOPLE MUST FALL IN LOVE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBjvXh9hBs
8. WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR LEGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZjNUIazmc
9. IN YOUR LAP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jumNAMAy3M
10. TRUMPSHIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGkzu0p9zI
Oh, go on then......
THE WRONG ARMS CHART
1. ISRAEL - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKjotJEWjo
2. IN YOUR LAP - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpK0wG1dJeg
3. HOME IS A QUESTION MARK - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUB_ObOalA&t=164s
4. I BURY THE LIVING - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7V8Rs_ywec
5. WHO WILL PROTECT US FROM THE POLICE? - MORRISSEY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUM1_40qfs
6. THE GIRL FROM TEL-AVIV WHO WOULDN'T KNEEL (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rwbWRSEyE
7. (I NEVER PROMISED YOU A) ROSE GARDEN (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHVrNyscCKs
8. TRUMPSHIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE (LIVE IN DENVER 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bijzz7aYaeM
9. YOU'LL BE GONE (LIVE IN SALT LAKE CITY 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCD4YBnCpo8
10. GLAMOROUS GLUE (LIVE IN DENVER 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmibaD5iPwk
11. MY LOVE, I'D DO ANYTHING FOR YOU (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyMV_USxJuU
12. SPENT THE DAY IN BED (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVf5PNRw3I
13. JACKY'S ONLY HAPPY WHEN SHE'S UP ON THE STAGE (DOWN 12) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8vTilI264Y
14. I WISH YOU LONELY (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3SNBTqRM4E
15. ALL THE YOUNG PEOPLE MUST FALL IN LOVE (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sqHpv8aReQ OR THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBjvXh9hBs
16. WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR LEGS (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZjNUIazmc
17. WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDukraeU4qI
18. GANGLORD (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I729p3c3YhQ
19. I STARTED SOMETHING I COULDN'T FINISH (LIVE IN PHONIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU3bTV42boA
20. JACK THE RIPPER (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRXF1ADWYs
21. SPEEDWAY (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLU6bpY23A&t=81s
22. I'M NOT SORRY (LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL 11/11/17) (DOWN 14) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuwsSiTU6YY
23. EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oKbWUigMM
24. HOW SOON IS NOW? (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxXkdw3cDA
25. ALMA MATTERS (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NK9mjI5SDI
26. SUEDEHEAD (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZdOCLllaVs
27. BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxXH58Pe5so
28. THE BULLFIGHTER DIES (LIVE IN PHOENIX 2017) (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOjr-oiJqx4
29. BETTER DAYS - SHED SEVEN (NEW ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65v-R8mJ-ak
30. I'LL NEVER FIND ANOTHER YOU - BILLY FURY (RE-ENTRY) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=7YvQyAXHUUY